1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

What the hell?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by TrinityELC, Jun 26, 2007.

1. TrinityELC

TrinityELC LawnSite Member

I had a customer call me for a sodding job, about 720sq ft of it. I went to look at the house and the weeds had overun it. So I would have to scrape it up, put down new soil, whatever..I gave her a price ans she agreed. She said "let's do it", great. She called for a formal contract and 3 references, for which she called all 3. We established a start day, great. She emails me about the percentage I want down, the length of the job, and why I want 40% down. I call her at home that day, no answer. I call her at work the next day, no answer. We had good rapport. She emails me thanking me for calling her back to clarify however she has chosen a contractor that is her coworkers husband. What a waste of time.:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

it happends.......

3. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

this is why i charge $100 for a stimate to show up on big jobs like this. that way my time is not wasted and if they do go with me the $100 goes toward there bill.

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

but thats not even a "big job".....I'll bet they used you estimate for the hubbys coworker...

5. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Marc is probably right - they just jacked you around to establish pricing.

6. TrinityELC

TrinityELC LawnSite Member

Thanks a lot, I will start charging for estimates on big jobs. This has been really helpful. I'm trying to land more profitable jobs. Man's rejection is God's protection.