1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

What Time Do You Start Cutting Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TBLC, Mar 10, 2005.

1. TBLC

TBLC LawnSite Member

What Time Do You Start Cutting Grass. 5am? 8am? I know the earlyer the better, but what about the do on the grass? How wet is to wet? I know some morning the grass is dry. Others its soking wet till 11am. Or should i just suck it up and deal with it..Later..Great site

2. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Your profile says you have been in business for 8 years. If that is true, you should have figured this out on your own by now....
    Use the search feature....
    btw, ....do on the grass? poop? or....dew on the grass? moisture? lol :)

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

If you are doing resi properties, check the law. Most places have a noise ordinance in effect before 8AM.

Commercail properties that are not also residences or within a certain distance of residences can (usually) be mowed at midnight if you really wanted to.

There used to be a guy on here who ran resi crews in the day 8AM - 5PM Then ran Commercial crews from 8PM to 5AM using the same truck and equipment. Or something like that.

4. TBLC

TBLC LawnSite Member

sorry DEW. First year full time. I had another job before.

5. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I start my resi's around 8 if possiblle, if its really wet i will try and hold out a little longer.On days that im doing Commercials i get out earlier around 7.. i dont have enough where i need to mow them overnight :dizzy:

6. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

The law says we can't start before 7 but i usually hit it about 6:30.

7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We usually start at 8am for residentials. Will start earlier for commercial.

8. Hacksquat

Hacksquat LawnSite Member

I usually start around 9AM. I like to make sure the dew has evaporated before I start.

9. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

My crews leave the shop at 7 AM so they are usually on the first property by 7:15-7:45. As far as the dew is concerned I don't worry about it. If I had them wait to cut the lawns until the lawn was dry I would need to add another crew. They grass catch them until they are dry enough to le it fly.

10. Updog

Updog LawnSite Member

We are the same as hacksquat it usually take too much time to cut wet grass if you bag it will just keep clogging. I geuss some areas don't have that much dew though.