1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

What time does everyone start cutting Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 3JLawnScapes, Jun 4, 2007.

1. 3JLawnScapes

3JLawnScapes LawnSite Member

We start doing commercial at around 7 to 7:30, depending on the morning maintenance, Residential around 8. Last week we where mowing the outside of a subdivision, I had my iPOD going just rolling along. And a lady comes up to me yelling. She’s all pissing and moaning about it not even being 8 o'clock yet, it was 7:57 I looked at my watch. She said something about getting up all week long at 4:30 (boo hoo).I told her well this is my day off too. (It was Saturday) A while back before this happened I checked to see when the earliest I could mow was, city code says 8 o clock so I start around there give or take 10 mins ,depending on drive time. So basically, I told this lady to go back to her house and deal with it, we would be out of there soon enough. She then asked who I worked for, "myself" I said. She then turned around and stormed off. Not quite sure if she went back to sleep or not... I have been thinking about starting my ztr up in front of her house every sat. At 8 am sharp....j/k but anyways just wanted to see if I was out of line by starting at 8 am.

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I think you are fine starting at 8:00am on Saturday, if your are within the city ordinence. if I work on Saturday, i start at 8:00am for residentials. Don't you just love it when they ask you who you work for, I love the look on their face when you tell them that you are the owner.

3. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Well...I usually try to Start at 9, but 9:30 is more realistic.

My one commercial, (no other resi's around), I start as early as 6.

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I do a church that I start on before the sun comes up... about 5:30 AM. Other than that, I don't engage the blades until 8:00 AM.

5. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

After 8 week days, 10 on weekends.

6. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

We start at 6 but sometimes the mower isnt actually running till 630. I have and still do start CUTTING at 530 am on Wednesday mornings. Its a Courthouse and thats the best time it fits in without cars there or near by. Saturdays are no different 6 am.

7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

We start mowing at 8:00 am or sometimes at 7:30, depending on the possibilty of rain. I hate messing up the schedule.

8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I start at 9am.... grass isnt usually too wet by then:)

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

The crews are in the shop loading by 0700 - out the door nlt 0715 - first job site nlt 0745 - Monday through Friday.
    Saturday starts at 0730 - out the door by 0745 - first site nlt 0815.

10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I don't turn on the blades til 8am. weekends, closer to 9am.