What time of day should I start a 4.5 hour watering program - avoiding fungus

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
Bravo on cutting overly shaded areas less frequently and taller. The reward is healthier & TALLER turf for sure as all the blades simply want to absorb as much light as possible to ensure reliance w/ the roots.

Unless fungicides are selective, and maybe they/some are(??), I'm just not a fan of 'negatively' tampering much w/ the natural soil biome. I have a good mind to replace the one customer that I know is using fungicides - which are best applied preventatively.

Michael - Toronto

LawnSite Member
Clydesdale:

Keep in mind that if you are using Hunter's "Hydrawise" application to control your system and monitor rainfall, temperature, etc. that the system will not be able to capture and consider the previous day's weather data (rainfall, temperature, evapotranspiration) until 2:00 AM local time. That makes 2:00 AM your earliest start time.

If you have a Hunter controller that supports Hydrawise, or if you are willing to get a new controller that supports Hydrawise (not all that expensive), and you set up your Hydrawise account carefully, the savings on your water bill will result in a payback period of less than one year for the new controller & Hydrawise subscription.

An additional advantage of going this route is that the Hydrawise application will prevent the irrigation system from running at a normally scheduled time (once or twice a week) if there has been sufficient rainfall to meet the lawn's needs in the previous few days.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I take a much more practical approach lol. Any fert still releasing any N by mid-June into July will buy me two things guaranteed: it will need more water than a raging diabetic and still look like someone had a bonfire on top of it (only way I can describe it — that steel blue color with needled leaves screaming EVEN MORE WATER AND PRONTO!!!); it will get nasty brown patch here, there and everywhere. If it wasn’t for those two minor issues, fert does make it turn dark green and grow nice, for about a minute just before uh oh . . . . :)
I like this description. I hadn't thought about fert making grass need more water in that way before. Add that to the list of why not to fert in the heat of mid summer.

On a total side note. I noticed a phenomenon the other day. I recently drove my vehicle across the lawn towing a trailer of mulch on a 100 degree day. The following day I noticed that areas that are irrigated had no ill effects, however non irrigated areas turned completely white and dead looking from the tire tracks. I suspect there was so little water in the blades to begin with, that they just crushed into nothing under the vehicle weight.

OP
C

clydesdale

LawnSite Senior Member
I do have the Hydrawise controller and I have switched my start times to 6am. The red thread is looking better. I ended up putting the fert with grub control down. I am thinking of aerating in the fall and overseeding with KBG. Any advice on this?

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I do have the Hydrawise controller and I have switched my start times to 6am. The red thread is looking better. I ended up putting the fert with grub control down. I am thinking of aerating in the fall and overseeding with KBG. Any advice on this?
On Sept 1st-
Scalp, aerate, drag dethatcher to loosen up soil, spread seed at higher than recommended rate, drag rake again to mix in seed, apply start fert, water 3-5 times daily to keep soil continuously damp for the next month. Do not let up on watering until grass has been mowed twice, then incrementally start cutting back to normal watering schedule, after 30 days start fert again.

KerbDMK

LawnSite Fanatic
It can be difficult to get KBG over-seedings to take very well, but I like your suggestions for the overseeding. You can use up to twice as much seed in this situation. I would also add that you should keep mowing the existing turf short with a push mower the entire time you are waiting for the new grass to come in so that the new grass doesn’t get shaded out by the existing grass. Walking and mowing over the seed and new grass will not hurt it.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
It can be difficult to get KBG over-seedings to take very well, but I like your suggestions for the overseeding. You can use up to twice as much seed in this situation. I would also add that you should keep mowing the existing turf short with a push mower the entire time you are waiting for the new grass to come in so that the new grass doesn’t get shaded out by the existing grass. Walking and mowing over the seed and new grass will not hurt it.
I like that idea of keeping the old grass mowed short throughout the process. I haven't tried that before. I'll be trying that this fall now!

KerbDMK

LawnSite Fanatic
I like that idea of keeping the old grass mowed short throughout the process. I haven't tried that before. I'll be trying that this fall now!
A mowing height of 2 inches works well for most mowers. New grass likes to be cut when it reaches that height and it encourages the new grass to grow more grass blades resulting in denser turf.

Top Forums