What to ask prospective lawn care professionals

tlwmsu

LawnSite Member
Been a long...long time since I've logged on here. I was on the verge of committing to this type of business a few years back, to the point of having my business plan laid out and had a few customers from doing it part time, but another job opportunity came up and I took it and ran. So, now I am firmly in the "homeowner" group and I am wanting to give my mom some solid advice regarding having her lawn cared for starting this year. My older brother still lived with her and handled (for the most part) taking care of the yard, but passed away in October.

So, it is nearly impossible for me to find the time to take care of her yard myself and we both thought if she could find someone fairly reasonable it would benefit both of us to pay a professional. She has one guy that says he is starting up part time, and (since I was one of those part-timers I have some empathy for him.) I would like to know what she needs to ask him. Licensed? Insured? Bonded? All of the above? What questions does he need to provide to her before she tries him out?

It is about 1.5 to 2 acres, including house, small garden area and driveway, which will need edging/weed-eating. He quoted $110 for first cut, then $80 every two weeks. She hasn't told him he is a "go" yet. It sounded reasonable to me...thoughts?

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
If it is a mow/trim/blow just ask for a copy of insurance in case he breaks a window, etc. Ask if the price includes sales tax. When is he scheduling to mow it? During diner every other week isn't pleasant, niether is Saturday at 8am when all the neighbors are trying to sleep. Can he handle leaf clean up? If you need fert/weed control is he certified? Are you willing to go through a couple lawn guys over the next couple years (part time guys come and go)?
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
tlwmsu

tlwmsu

LawnSite Member
106 views now.. holla! :clapping:
Ha! :usflag:

I didn't expect a magna carta worth of info or anything, but I figured I'd get a few pointers. Looks like djagusch gave me a few after my smart-a__ post. *trucewhiteflag*

I'll pass those along to my mom; she and I do things differently, so yes...she is willing to go through a few part-timers if she can save a buck. I did find out my info was a little off...he is trying to be full-time starting this season.

Patriot Services

LawnSite Fanatic
40 dollars a cut for almost 2 acres biweekly? Congratulations you've hired a lowballer. He will figure out quick enough he is losing money and be gone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
Insured lowballers are usually incompetant boobs that NEED insurance to mow a lawn... hire a neighborhood kid with a brain for mowing...

OP
tlwmsu

tlwmsu

LawnSite Member
40 dollars a cut for almost 2 acres biweekly? Congratulations you've hired a lowballer. He will figure out quick enough he is losing money and be gone.
Posted via Mobile Device
I may have mis-typed. It is 110 first cut, then 80 per cut afterwards every 2 weeks. He is supposed to be starting full time this season. We will see...scheduled her for tomorrow for 1st cut.

Nutsedge

LawnSite Member
I was going to suggest a neighborhood kid. At least with that option you probably don't have to worry about them
Talking your mom into some unnessicary and costly procedure/service when she's there herself.
Posted via Mobile Device

phlandscaping

LawnSite Member
That price sounds great to me, hopefully it works out! I don't know how reliable the neighorhood kid will be. If it's an area like mine, he'll bring a pushmower and come back a few days a week just to finish the job. Whereas my 60Z would make short work of it.