1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

What To Buy???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FordManKubotaDreamer, Nov 2, 2005.

1. FordManKubotaDreamer

FordManKubotaDreamer LawnSite Member

If you had money for only one of these at the moment which would you buy now??? I just am looking to update/replace the old.

1.Bg 85 Blower $209.00
    2.Ms 290 Chain Saw 319.95
    3.Fs 100 RX Trimmer 319.95
    4.Fc 75 Edger 289.00

Are these good prices??? Thanks

2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

cash it in for dollars and go to the strip club!

3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

it depends on what you need the worst . in my case i would take the trimmer. you can always use a spare.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I'd be looking at RedMaX

5. FordManKubotaDreamer

FordManKubotaDreamer LawnSite Member

There isn't a Redmax dealer near by.

6. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Trimmer, or your oldest most unreliable piece.

7. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are needing a chainsaw you can't go wrong with a
    Stihl . That price for the MS290 sounds real good too. 2 years ago I gave about $350.00 for a MS250S and it has served me well.

Nosmo

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would be looking at other equipment than stihl, because the exaust blows right into my arm pit.

right now, I would buy a shindaiwa eb8510.

9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I like stihl products... I have 9 of their 4-mix products. Excellent chainsaws too.

I would stay away from Redmax... I also have 6 Redmax trimmers, 2 blowers, G62$% chainsaw... they are currently all in the garage not being used. It seems as though all of the bolts on redmax equipment just falls out. I have only been able to get 1-1.5 seasons out of them. Their hedge trimmers are only able to cut fine leaf shrubs and they are also designed structurally weak. I just think Stihl make a more durable product and I am hoping 4-mixes will last twice as long as a regular 2-cycle.

10. indybrian

indybrian LawnSite Member

The trimmer is a vital piece. If you have a good quality commercial trimmer such is the one you mentioned (the 110 XR), why would you need a edger? As far as the blower goes, save your money and buy a bigger stihl blower than the 85. That particular blower is somewhat ok for residential apps but for parking lots etc, you need more power. For another $125-150 you can jump up to a 420 magnum or BR550 4 mix.

Just my two cents