Lawn Care Forum banner

What to charge for cleaning gutters???

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  LAWNS AND MOWER 
#1 ·
One of my long time customers has asked me if i can clean her gutters, she is too old to go up on the roof.The house isnt very big mosty single story with a small section 2 stories.Im guessing i can blow out the gutters and have any mess cleaned up in about 40 mins.Im also cleaning some dead branches in the yard which will be additional time.What would you charge for going up on a roof?Should i add a little for the hazard?I have ins so im not worried about that end and already have a large ladder i can use. Thanks

#2 ·
how steep is the roof?

i use a hand held blower
a Stihl bg 75 or, bg 85
any name brand pro unit
should do fine
i refuse to get on a roof
with a backpack blower
"safty first"

#4 ·
I charge $10.00 for every 15 feet of gutter, I learned that from a gutter guy and it has not failed me yet.

Example: Total of 60 feet = $40.00

90 feet = $60.00 and so on

Total amount of feet divided by 15, then multiply by $10.00

( round off if numbers don't match up exactly )

#8 ·
here is a little story about cleaning gutters that will make everybody think twice about it:

I had a customer that I cleaned her gutters all the time, they were horrible. Well, last summer I cleaned them in July. Fall rolls around she never asks me to do it, so I figure ok she doesn't want it. Well, this past winter I get a phone call from her blaming me on $2,500 damage to her garage because I never cleaned out the gutters in the fall and ice built up during the winter time. I told her that she never asked me to clean them, and she says that she did. I am still waiting everyday for a nice little letter from her lawyer.

So I learned my lesson, no more gutter cleaning.

#9 ·
Tiedeman, that can happen with any service, if I'm going to be afraid to clean gutters, well then I should just hang it up now. Unfortunately the one bad thing about the U.S.A. is that anyone can sue anyone whenever they want, does'nt mean they'll win, but they can sue, so that's why they invented insurance, make sure that your insurance plan includes gutter cleaning. Also it's a good thing to have written contracts or agreements.

#10 ·
Originally posted by EastProLawn
Tiedeman, that can happen with any service, if I'm going to be afraid to clean gutters, well then I should just hang it up now. Unfortunately the one bad thing about the U.S.A. is that anyone can sue anyone whenever they want, does'nt mean they'll win, but they can sue, so that's why they invented insurance, make sure that your insurance plan includes gutter cleaning. Also it's a good thing to have written contracts or agreements.
that is a good point, but really think about it, compared to any other service, improper gutter cleaning can lead to some of the, if not the worse damage to someones house. The only other one that I can think of besides gutter cleaning is tree removal.

#11 ·
I agree, gutter cleaning is a small part of my business, but it does come in handy during the slower times, all I'm saying though is just use your head in all facets of business, DTA ( don't trust anyone ) Put all things in writing and always have plenty of insurance.

#12 ·
I agree, gutter cleaning is a small part of my business, but it does come in handy during the slower times, all I'm saying though is just use your head in all facets of business, DTA ( don't trust anyone ) Put all things in writing and always have plenty of insurance.
have to agree with you on that.

#14 ·
Single level ranch has on average about 60 feet of gutters, so Dennis, you are right on the ball.
60 feet? I'm hoping you are assuming on each side of the house. If not, then you are saying 30 feet on each side? If thats the case then this house is only 900 square feet assuming it's a square house. I don't have time to measure linear footage. I just look at it and give em a price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.