1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

What to Charge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fubba, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I have a great customer that I've been doing business with for a little while now. Well, he had a dead pine tree fall in his yard and has hired me to cut it up for him. I haven't really done chainsaw work for a customer before and was wondering what you guys usually charge. Do any of you do this kind of stuff too?

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Charge by the hr. at the same rate as mowing and have a min. of x amount of $$$$ for tree work. What size tree, hauling away, stacking wood, what length does it need to be cut ??
    BTW-- does your INS. cover tree work?

3. Fubba

Tree's not that big. I would guess about 30 or 40 ft. total. Maybe 15" around at the stump. I'm cutting them into about 2 ft. pieces and stacking it about 3 feet away from where it fell. The limbs are being piled about 20 feet away to be burned when I'm done.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

My region I can get $150 - $200 depending on how many branches there are to be piled. I'm figuring 1 hr or less for the whole job

5. Fubba

I'm figuring about that same amount of time as well. I worked for about 10 minutes on it today until my chain got a little loose and I didn't have the right size socket with me. I got about half the tree cut up and got a few of the limbs up that were in my way.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

If it's less than 20 minutes, and they're a decent paying customer over the years, and it's a good account, I'll just do it.

Really, what do I care. I know that my competition is going to be cheaper than me when it comes to a mowing bid, but my customers know that they've got a working relationship with me that they'll scratch my back, I'll scratch theirs type deal.