1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

What to do about Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gumby1, May 19, 2004.

1. gumby1

gumby1 LawnSite Member

I am considering sending a note along with my next billing that reads something like:

Do to the high gas prices, a 2% surcharge will be added to your bill. Our pricing is based on gas prices around $1.50 a gallon. We will only be charging the surcharge when gas prices are over $2.00 a gallon.

Do you think this is a good or bad idea?

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

My clients probably wouldn't mind it, but I dont think my clients ever read the invoice anyway

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I' m going to sell my gas powered mowers and get electric ones.:laugh:

4. gr8cutter

gr8cutter LawnSite Member

So if gas dropped back to 1.00 a gallon would you give them a refund? I am complexed about the gas surcharge. How much does it effect your profit margin?

5. gwwilson

gwwilson LawnSite Member

Fuel Tax Credit. Fuel that a business uses for off-highway equipment or machinery is entitled to
    a fuel tax credit. For example, if a landscaping company purchases fuel to power its lawnmowers
    or other equipment, the company is entitled to a credit.
    Its about .48 between state & federal taxes.

6. gumby1

gumby1 LawnSite Member

To gr8cutter: when your average gas bill is about $1000 a month, the $.60 a gallon (what we are currently paying over the $1.50 a gallon) comes out to be about $400. And to answer your first question the answer is NO, if you read my first post I said if the gas went over $2.00 a gallon. You see I have eaten the cost of the majority of the increase. So to answer your next question (if it was a question or you just being a smartie!!!!) yes i would consider lowering in some way the price if the gas went below a $1 a gallon.