• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

What to do about new mower purchase?

Mattitude

LawnSite Member
Here is my situation, I already have a 52-ZTR Gravely but I am looking for another mower. I have enough saved for a Walk-Behind but have been looking at the Legacy Simplicty RIding Tractor.

Would you purchase a walkbehind or pay for half of the LEgacy and finance the other half?

THE REASON I NEED ANOTHER mower is for some big open mowing and a few hillside jobs that I have! Will the walk behind hang on the hill?

OP
M

Mattitude

LawnSite Member
anyone? i am hopefully going to demo a ferris walkbehind this weekend. Anyone got any experience with Gravely Walk Behinds?

Tvov

LawnSite Bronze Member
A walkbehind will certainly hold a hill better than a rider. I don't know what the Simplicity is, but if it is actually a tractor, ZTRs are a heck of a lot more productive, which is why no commercial guys use tractors.

For a small operation, a walkbehind and a ZTR is a great combination.

FrankenScagMachines

LawnSite Platinum Member
What deck and engine sizes are you considering? Will there be a helper or are you solo? The walk behind is best on hills, much better than a lawn tractor (if we're talking about a hydro walk, belt drives still better). As for the tractor, it will be better than your Z on a hill, but the Z will be faster in big areas... Why not a used 60" Z and a used walk behind (36"?)? If you could afford it anyway, or just get one or the other.
I have an old 32" Gravely belt drive for gated areas, it is not a bad little machine but I wouldn't want to use it as primary machine, or for more than some lawns. A new one would be much nicer though and hydro would be sweet on that small of machine. Again, mine is old (about a 1990 model). My main mower is a eXmark hydro 52" with sulky.

Littleriver1

LawnSite Senior Member
I just got a 48"WB and I'm very happy with the way it holds on hills. I also hav e a ZTR and I have some locations that just do not justify using it. The WB will cut just as fast. Get the WB.
Bill

OP
M

Mattitude

LawnSite Member
Right now my company is me and my partner and a part-time guy who mainly helps weedeating at one large cemetery.

We use a 52in ZTR Gravely and a regular old rider for tough hills.

I was looking at the new LEgacy XL SImplicity tractor that has a 60in cut. But started thinking that either a Ferris or Gravely 44in or bigger WB, perferably Hydro, would be cheaper and better to use overall.

jbt

LawnSite Member
Gravely WB are good, I have a 50in gravely wb belt drive. Check around for a used one, also ask your Gravely dealer.