What to do About This Non-Paying Customer?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GreenBlade, Jul 14, 2013.

  1. Charles

    Charles Moderator Staff Member
    Messages: 8,952

    The first thing he needs to do is call the sheriff or Chief of Police and find out what the laws are concerning writing bad checks are in his city or town. Let them advise him on what to do next. This is just not getting paid. He has a bad check. I imagine a officer showing up at this woman's door with the teen would do much more good than a certified letter. I bet she has a bunch of certified letters in the landfill. Her mistake was writing that check:usflag:
  2. Colaguy

    Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 599

    Yes it is. It is a criminal offense. Here we can charge $25 extra if check bounces. We have a local county office that deals with bounced checks w/the State atty Office. Surely you have something like that where you live. Go after her. Befriend a local lawyer & have him write up a demand letter for payment. If not, then sue her in small claims court. Never ever forgive debts owed from lazy sorry inexcusable deadbeat people like this lady. They especially need to be held accountable.

    Glad your doing so well as a young businessman. You have a great work ethic that will take you far in life! Please ignore those here who are critical because they're just jealous of a prosperous 16 yr old :waving:
  3. Stars & Stripes Landscaping

    Stars & Stripes Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT
    Messages: 246

    I work at a law enforcement agency, here's what I greatly suggest... it is a strong suggestion.

    Take a drive to your local police department, ask to speak to an officer. Bring your contract, the bad check information and have a sit down honest discussion with an officer. You might need to have your parents come with you since you're not 18 however you may not, local laws would be the deciding factor. The police officer would be able to give you the best information as far as if you can take it anywhere.
  4. GreenBlade

    GreenBlade LawnSite Member
    Messages: 216

    I greatly appreciate everyone's replies. Means a lot! I plan on sending a certified letter out tomorrow, but what should it say exactly? I'm not exactly sure how to word the letter. My next step will be the trip to the police office. This lady lives in a different city, so should I visit that police office or mine? Or does it matter?
  5. 32vld

    32vld LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,983

    An adult can not hold a minor to a contract. So he can break it.

    However as an adult I believe the adult customer can be held by this 16 yo.

    Best place is for him to ask a lawyer.
  6. Colaguy

    Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 599

    City where the check bounced.
  7. Charles

    Charles Moderator Staff Member
    Messages: 8,952

    You go to the Police first. Then you will know what to say in the letter. We don't know the laws are in your city or the one where she resides.

Share This Page