What to do during the winter?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Drivefaster35, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Hi, I have been in the lawn care business for over 15 years many of which I was either in school or working on my house throughout the winter months. Now all those projects are done, and I am about to go crazy. I do Plow quite a few lots so when we get snow I am busy but if we have no snow I am constantly twirling my fingers wanting something to do. I was curious what many of you do throughout the winter months to make some extra $$$?

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Well
    Mostly we hang out here and argue about which deck cuts the best grass and which color machine is superior.
    When we get bored with that we like to switch it up by tearing eachother up over two cycle equipment...
    By the time the dust settles
    It’s spring clean up time.

3. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

4. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

alright, let's offer some real opinions and advice please

thanks

Clean cut LLC and Tara Ann like this.
  5. curleelawncare

curleelawncare LawnSite Member

How much downtime do you have? On my area of the East Coast I am busy doing fall clean up a till mid December, then pre emergent in mid February. During the 2 off months, I take advantage to get equipment cleaned up and maintenance done. I try to take a much needed vacation. I have in the past made notes of what minor handy man repairs a customer's house may need and drum up some winter money that way.

6. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Give it a few seasons and you will have fill in work. Push for it in summer. Plowing /snow removal isn’t fun for me. Long hours etc and you CANT bank on it. Least in my area, I’m small and solo

Worst case find a small bs job for filler and some money. Hang in and prep for winter. Easier said than done.

Tara Ann, DXN1EL, Walker56 and 3 others like this.
  7. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I do have plenty of Snow work so when it does snow I gotta go go go. but no snow = Nothing to do. I have thought about trying to find a small job for a few extra bucks somewhere. Unfortunately if it snows I gotta go so I feel kind of stuck.

bolc5150 likes this.
  8. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

I detail my mowers / equipment over winter. I just do a little every day.
    Lots of business planning / etc for spring that I usually never follow through haha. Gotta work on accomplishing more “goals” but my main road block is lack of cash flow in early spring.

jetson, Tara Ann and TrainingWheels like this.
  9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

just relax. that's the fun part of the year :D

10. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Looking like I'll be stocking shelves at Walmart or something.

I used to squirrel away money to make it through winter, but money has been tight and I tried working for someone else (the last two winters) doing commercial snow removal (don't get enough snow for residential work) but even with needing to salt/plow/shovel with the smallest amount of accumulation, I just didn't get enough hours to pay the bills.

Spent last night looking at help wanted listings.
    I was getting $15/hr doing the snow gig and busting my arse, while freezing and working 3am until the snow stopped - could be 24 hrs straight.
    $11/hr to put cans of soup on a shelf - INDOORS - doesn't sound TOO terrible.