• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

What to do in this situation....confused on what to do!

slicknick

LawnSite Member
Ok lets say Im trying to start up this year (legally). What do you do if you blanket the area (25 mile radius from my house) with flyers, and only get say, 25% of the accounts you wanted to get. For example, my goal is to get 40 residential this year. What if I only get 10 calls? Do I still go out and get equipment, a truck, trailer, mowers etc? Or do I call them and say sorry I cant mow your lawn this year? If that situation arises I cant spend thousands of dollars on equipment and only cut 10 lawns.. Right? What would you guys do?

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
Well you could spend thousands and only mow 10 properties, but they would have to be pretty big accounts and well paying. Now if you're going to "blanket" that 25 mile radius around your house, I doubt you couldn't get 40 accounts.

How many flyers are you planning on passing out?

unkownfl

LawnSite Platinum Member
Can you afford to do it part time? If you can then just buy some used equipment;shouldn't have more then a 1000 bucks in mowing equipment to do 10 lawns. If you blanket a 25 mile radius you must live in a very rural area to only receive ten lawns. 25 mile radius is huge to cover and I doubt you could service that size area by yourself.

OP
S

slicknick

LawnSite Member
Well you could spend thousands and only mow 10 properties, but they would have to be pretty big accounts and well paying. Now if you're going to "blanket" that 25 mile radius around your house, I doubt you couldn't get 40 accounts.

How many flyers are you planning on passing out?
Ill rephrase. I want to hit areas up to 25 miles away. I will be skipping parts of cities that I dont want (lower class houses). Im tired of dealing with the low quality lawns where a nice cut looks terrible because people just want the bare minimum done for the cheapest buck. Id say ill be putting out 2000-3000 flyers, HOPING to get 40. I dont know if I can handle more than 40 to be honest. Last year I put out ~1000 flyers, got 8 lawns out of it.

OP
S

slicknick

LawnSite Member
Can you afford to do it part time? If you can then just buy some used equipment;shouldn't have more then a 1000 bucks in mowing equipment to do 10 lawns. If you blanket a 25 mile radius you must live in a very rural area to only receive ten lawns. 25 mile radius is huge to cover and I doubt you could service that size area by yourself.
I have to get a truck and trailer to go out 25 miles, and the cost of that to me wouldnt be worth it for 10 residential houses at 30-40 dollars per lawn.

unkownfl

LawnSite Platinum Member
You don't have to get a trailer thats a choice and a waste if you only have 10 lawns. I can manage 50 in the summer here out of my f150 with a 36 stander and no I don't want a cookie I'm just saying you don't need on; at least not till you can afford one. I don't think that is enough fliers to get the said amount of accounts unless your that cheap.

OP
S

slicknick

LawnSite Member
You don't have to get a trailer thats a choice and a waste if you only have 10 lawns. I can manage 50 in the summer here out of my f150 with a 36 stander and no I don't want a cookie I'm just saying you don't need on; at least not till you can afford one. I don't think that is enough fliers to get the said amount of accounts unless your that cheap.
No, I am not cheap. I am trying to find a solid number of flyers to put out that will get me around 40 lawns per week. I really cant do much more than that by myself, so its hard to plan on how many flyers to put out. If I put out 5000-8000 flyers and i get 80 people then what?

OP
S

slicknick

LawnSite Member
What happened to the equipment you used to do those lawns?
Well I just turned 18 so I want to become a legal business, register with the state, get insurance, etc. The past few years I just put out "neighborhood kid" flyers and mowed with a residential 21" craftsman and just a basic weedeater, edger, and blower. I can't be taken seriously with the stuff I have now. I want to become legit no matter what it takes. I really enjoy keeping lawns looking nice, and admire my work as I drive by the houses I service everyday. And on the other post you made, id love to be able to cut 80 lawns a week lol, but in all reality, thats just not possible!