1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

What to do with left over stump grindings

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawns2nv, Nov 17, 2001.

1. Lawns2nv

Lawns2nv LawnSite Member

Hey guys, Jus wanted to know, what guys to with your left over stump grindings after your all done grinding ? Before i started working for myself i worked for a tree co., and we jus left a huge pile of grindings on the customers property. I know its good mulch, but lotta ppl complain that they dont need a large pile of stump mulch cuz they are goona re-plant or jus plant grass. I mean we take down some huge oak & elm trees, i really dont wanna shovel all that mulch into the back of my pick up. if the customer wants it gone whats a good price to remove th stump mulch ? Or should i jus charge it into the price of the stump or tree removel?

2. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

give then 2 prices from the get go.....1 for stump....2 for stump and removal of grindings, with the replacement of soil and seed. 9 otta 10 times they go for #1 cause its the cheapest, if they go for #2 make sure you price it to make a good return.. I use to run a Vermeer 630, but got rid of it(not enough stumps to keep the machine busy)

3. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

what grows decomposes

4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I would try and get the whole deal out of them...clean up and soil and seed.

Find a nursery to get rid of the "mulch" . We let a guy dump all his grindings and use them to "hill" in our trees that are waiting to be sold.