What to expect from newspaper drop in?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by UpstateServices, Feb 10, 2019.

1. UpstateServices

UpstateServices LawnSite Member

I have not done much marketing during my first couple years of business. This year I will have a 8.5x11 full color double sided drop-in ad sent to approx 13,000 houses in my area. What kind of response can I expect from this? Ive generally heard 1-3% callbacks, is that a safe estimate?

2. EverGrow Marketing

EverGrow Marketing Sponsor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm always wary of newspaper and blanket stuff like this. 1-3% seems a bit high considering the average response rate on EDDM is just under 1% and it has a bit more of a targeted approach.

I'm not sure of your market or the types of homes this newspaper hits, but I would be curious to know how many of these homes are duplexes, apartments, or any other home that isn't owned or maintained by the occupant.

Because that's a lot of wasted impressions.

3. OP
    OP
    UpstateServices

Good point. It is targeted to a upperclass suburb with lots of developments. Anything over 1% would be a bit much for me to handle (assuming they're all just recurring mowing accounts) so I would be happy with .25%-1%

4. EverGrow Marketing

The good thing about having too much to handle is being able to turn down who you want without feeling like you have to say yes to every job.

Do you know what the average age range / demographic for this suburb is? And how much did the ad cost?

5. OP
    OP
    UpstateServices

Not exactly but I would say 35-45, and about $650. So the way I look at it, one landscape job or mowing act will pay for it.

6. EverGrow Marketing

At that demographic, I would have gone a digital route. Newspapers and magazines aren't really a direct ROI medium.

You'd get a much higher response rate and a lot higher ROI. If it were an older demographic then I would justify your route.

I'm sure you'll get a positive return, though.

UpstateServices likes this.
  7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

The old advertisement methods don’t work anymore

Do YOU read ads in the news paper?
    Do you even buy news papers?
    Yellow pages??
    No one reads hard print like they use to

Electronic advertising of some sort, word of mouth or graphics is real time (like on your truck/trailer)

Yea that’s the expensive stuff
    Hard copy adverts used to be expensive
    Know why they aren’t anymore?
    Because no one is buying them
    Because they no longer work

Unless you’re selling geriatric products
    This isn’t what you want

If it seems cheap and too good to be true
    It is

Best way is a start up is to get out there
    Hand out business cards
    Get jobs and do them
    No you won’t babe money fast
    No there isn’t a way to do that
    No matter what the YP or paper tells you

Doc8406 likes this.
  8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Bronze Member

Print Advertising Still Works. The problem is no one does it enough to see the results or has unrealistic results. Lets say you send out 1000 postcards at a cost of 612.00 but you only got one customer out of it. That provided revenues of 1000.00 per year and you kept them 5 years that one heck of a ROI. If printed advertising didn't work why are there sale ads every week? Use print and digital combined. Focus on smaller amounts with more frequency. Not a 1 time shot.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    hort101 and Doc8406 like this.
  9. Jkh509

Jkh509 LawnSite Member

Currently I'm working for a multi million dollar a year lawn care biz and they told me that they get enough work to keep their pruners busy all year through just one full size notebook paper add every spring. I've had good luck in the past with eddr at 1.7 ROI. Every area is different but in my opinion all advertisement is worth it as long as it's affordable.

Redland1 likes this.
  10. EverGrow Marketing

"Affordable" is subjective.

Do you mean affordable up front or having a high ROI?