what to look for when buying a stander mower?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Suzukipowered, Apr 13, 2018 at 11:43 AM.

1. Suzukipowered

Suzukipowered LawnSite Member

Hey guys, this is my first post, sorry of I have put this in the wrong place, but I am looking to get into business. I have bought a 16 ft. Trailer and now I am looking to fill it, I wanted a standup mower. I am looking at a couple of great danes locally and just wanted to ask what I should be checking when going to buy it. how do I check the hydros? What are good and bad things about the great danes? I have been checking out one in particular but it has been for sale for a while and the price dropped a couple times, not sure what's up with it, but just starting off I am trying to not get screwed. here is the ad I am looking at: https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/grd/d/great-dane-suffer-mower/6548201865.html

2. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Senior Member

New Bradley 52" stander $4200
    Quick Cutz or cuts on YouTube has one and done a few videos in action. I just bought a walk behind from Bradley and so far very impressed.

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Great Danes?
    Are you going to tow that trailer with a studebaker?

Go buy a scag vride2 with a warranty and never look back

Scagtastic likes this.
  4. Suzukipowered

Suzukipowered LawnSite Member

Yeah, I don't have that kind of money for my first season, gonna have to wait a year or 2 for that one. Would be sweet to start on something that nice though.

5. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't trust a stander for $2000 that's a good price for a used walk behind

6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

That makes no sense.

You have thousands of dollars to buy a used mower that will need hundreds to thousands to repair over the course of a single season, but you can’t make payments on a new machine that would be hundreds a month with no residual costs or excessive maintenance?

You’re looking at a $9000 purchase or less
    So let’s say you get 10.99 for 60 months
    That’s not a good deal but I’m using it for illustration purposes.
    Your payments will be $196.00

If you have $2100 to buy that relic hunk of junk
    Count on at least that much in cash to hopefully get it to run all season.
    That’s $4200 you need to set aside for just a machine to mow with.
    That’s 50 percent of your new machine inside a single season!

Meanwhile your Cash poor
    No cash flow straps your ability to operate.
    Down time ruins opportunity to make money and ruins your credibility and reliability in the eyes of current customers.

So go buy a new machine, use $800 to put down in it
    Save the other $1300 for operations, start up and advertisement,

That other 2 grand you would potentially put into repairs and maintenance for the yard art you want to buy?
    That’s TEN months of payments for your new machine.

$9000 divided by 12 is $750
    So with 750 down and $750 payments a month in the season you have your machine paid off at the end of season two, by only making payments during the months you’re actually making money with it.

If you average $55 per hour
    You need to work approx 20 hours a month to pay the machine off
    That’s 1/8 of the available sales you have each month or 12.5 percent
    Profit margins for solos hover around 20 percent after modest owner salary.

So it’s completly doable

IF you’re worried about not having enough sales to pay for your machine
    Then you don’t need it yet.

75% of business owners state not buying the right eqiluipment/buying crappy equipment or being under capitalized as one of their top regrets/mistakes when starting out.
    Over 90% of the landscape companies that start up and fail in their first two years, fail FOR that reason.

Be a Boy Scout
    Be prepared
    If you don’t have many customers
    Push mow until your eyes bleed
    Then buy a new mower

7. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed with the above. If you can swing it buy new plus they have 0 for 48 months deals all the time just pay extra payments when you can. If not I'll sell you my 36 toro walk behind for 1800 cash. Check my thread.

8. zraffz

zraffz LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody else notice the back right tire? She'll leave nice waves in your stripes.