Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My yard has a family of shrooms that keep coming up. We've been relatively wet this summer. Grass hasn't been brown since first of July. I usually pluck them at the dirt and try not to shake them apart on the lawn. Haven't bothered digging them. I'm curious what the pros would use to eradicate them.

Plant Sky Flower Tree Botany

·
Registered
20 Posts
It’s Chlorophyllum molybdites. It is a sickener/ poisoner. It will help fix nitrogen and trace metals in the lawn….fungi are little chemistry labs. It probably is attached to the laws root system….takes a little sugar from the roots and shares some nutrients with the grass. Pulling the mushroom won’t hurt the parent organism, it will prevent sporulation though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This pro explains to the customer that a mushroom is only the fruiting body of the mycelium that is underground. Its the fruiting body like an apple is to a tree
So unless its a golf course or super high end customer, or its Fairy Ring, (look it up ),let it be
It can take numerous fungicide treatments for something that happens naturally in nature
Fungi breakdown dead matter, ie old tree roots, woody stuff etc and are trying to reproduce with the mushrooms
BTW Smash mushrooms. If u shake them, the spores, ( seeds ), fall out

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This pro explains to the customer that a mushroom is only the fruiting body of the mycelium that is underground. Its the fruiting body like an apple is to a tree
So unless its a golf course or super high end customer, or its Fairy Ring, (look it up ),let it be
It can take numerous fungicide treatments for something that happens naturally in nature
Fungi breakdown dead matter, ie old tree roots, woody stuff etc and are trying to reproduce with the mushrooms
BTW Smash mushrooms. If u shake them, the spores, ( seeds ), fall out
Thanks. I usually pluck them and discard them without shaking the spores out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fungi are decaying old wood under the ground. Where possible dig down and pull out the old roots.
Wrap a cable around the root and give a gentle tug--(with your pickup.)
The fungi in question is Chlorophyllum molybdites...it lacks the metabolic enzymes to digest lignins ( wood, straw etc) and occupies an ecological niche as a mycorhyzzal facilitator of grasses.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts