• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

What to use to aerate a 4 acre parcel

Easy

LawnSite Member
I have a customer, new for me, that wants his 4 acre lot thatched and aerated. My problem is the aerator sizes. The only ones I can find to rent are 24 inch, or 5 foot. The 5 footer is over kill, pulls 12" plugs, weighs in at 750 pounds, and would destroy the drainage system in the field as it is shallow.
I am thinking of buying a 48 inch tow behind model that pulls 3" plugs. Anyone have any suggestions/experience with one of these, as walking behind the 24 inch is a bit much.
Any comments or suggestions????
Don

cantoo

LawnSite Silver Member
Might want to recheck the specs on the 5' aerator. 12" Did a skinny white guy measure it? My 6' aerators will pull a max of 4" and it has to be real wet.

OP
Easy

Easy

LawnSite Member
What do you pull such large aerators with?
I looked at this unit, and the knives were about 12-14 inches long. It had 15 inch truck wheels and tires, and was huge. (the guy said it weighed 750 pounds) I would imagine the dampness of the soil would determine how deep the cores were, but, the knives were 12-14 inches long, and with 750 pounds on them......
I wouldn't want it run over my drainage system.
A 3-4 inch core would be fine for what I am doing.
I ended up purchasing a Swisher 48 inch tow behind, and it worked fine.
I just wondered if anyone else ran into this same problem.
Don

cantoo

LawnSite Silver Member
Marc, I don't need another aerator but I buy and sell them fairly often. What's one like that worth? I have seen a few older ones of that type but never bought one. I buy them at city auctions and sell them in Tri Ad type newspapers. They are heavy to haul and I only buy them if I am trying to make a load for my trailer. I have pics of the latest two in my messy shop in the pictures thread. I make pretty good money on them and the new owners think they are getting a good deal too.

If I was to use them I would use my 1520 Ford compact tractor. I do have a couple for the front of my Steiners too but they are only about 4' wide.

MarcSmith

LawnSite Fanatic
I think New they go for about 3-4K....Id love to get 1K for mine....Its a little dirty but it works 100% no leaks on the hand jack, and all the tines spin easily....

Since we lost one of our natural fields to synthetic I really don't need something that big any more....