1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

What to use to stay organized?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pcs, Mar 11, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

What does everyone use to keep there papers and recipts organized? I know last season my truck was a mess with papers flying everywhere. I was thinking of getting a briefcase. I could put my laptop in it and organize everything so it's not flying out the window. What does everyone else use?

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

when i'm out this year i will have my palm computer with a key board, incase i have to make any notes or anything i could type myself a reminder. i just put any reciept in my pocket and when i get home i put it a folder with others.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Former Moderator

We use a clipboard. Attach the days`schedule to it along with a pen. If we accumulate any papers throughout the day we just attach them to the clipboard.

4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a three ring loose leaf binder with my weekly cutting schedule on the front cover (in the clear slip in pocket). On the inside I have a Customer Data Sheet for each of my customers that details everything about them, so in case I need to know when their contract expires, or how much I charge to cut shrubs, or fertilize and it will be at my fingertips. On the back cover I have a yearly calendar. Any receipts or notes for the day get slipped into the binder and hopefully I'll remember to take them out when I get home. I'm dying to buy a Handspring Visor or Palmpilot, but I really don't know if it would make sense or not. I'd also like to have a laptop w/printer (for contracts/proposals) on the seat of my truck but fear that in the summer the heat of a closed cab would toast them, not to mention someone stealing them. This is another reason I haven't yet got the Visor. Anyone have a PDA in the cab in the summer? How's it holdup in the heat?

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

It would help to have multiple brains.
    one to solve problems
    one to remember everything
    one to deal w customers properly
    not much chance huh

6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Very good question. I do what Mowerman does. Only I don't have each contract or yearly calendar in there. Both good ideas. I think if you follow his post you will do well. Just make sure you organize it twice a day once at lunch and once at the shop at night, and don't let the truck get too messy. I know how frustrating it is when you open the door and 5 receipts go blowing down the street and you have to go chasing them like an idiot.

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I keep a briefcase in the cab of the truck with me at all times. I keep a supply of graph paper, writing instruments, legal pad, estimate forms, coupon calendars, priceing guides for each service, business cards, etc. and a clean t-shirt. All of the days receipts go in here in a zipper style pencil holder.

I also keep a shave kit with a toothbrush, deodorant, cologne, and breath freshners(certs etc.) I find that 30 seconds under the spigot saves hours avoiding the trip home in the evening before going to do estimates. Have yet to find a client gripe about scrubing my arms, face, and pits.

I use a metal clipboard/binder that has a calculator attachment for figuring estimates. I also keep a phone book for each area that truck services at all times as well.

MSDS sheets are kept in a folder in the door-pocket of the truck too.

Good Luck this season!
    Kris

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Trying a HandSpring along with Lawn Monkey this year. Have used dayrunners in the past, did not do well for me.

9. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

My Wife...........:D Noooooo not really, just couldn't resist.

10. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

i was not at all inpressed with " lawn monkey ",, i decided to go with " Gopher 98 " instead i love it only $299 . thats my 2 cents!