1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

What To Wear?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Logan Graham, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Logan Graham

Logan Graham LawnSite Member

I'm 15 years old and I manage my own landscaping/mowing/gardening semi-business. I usually wear a pair of jeans, some casual footwear (Nike dunks, they're comfy, but tattered), any shirt I can risk getting dirty, and a rain coat (that's too small for me). Everything ends up getting wet and dirty, usually, when I weed (which is normal), but it's all pretty small on me. Do you guys have any recommendations on what to wear (pants, shoes, shirt-wise)? I'll be weeding, doing yard work, mowing, gardening, etc.

What I'm thinking about:

Footwear: Buying a pair of runners? Any other suggestions? I don't want anything big and heavy.

Pants: For lack of ideas, I was thinking track pants.

Shirt: I want to get a short-sleeve green t-shirt, and either stencil my "semi-business'" name on the back, with some services and number.

Coat: When working while it's raining/spitting... what do you guys do?

What do you guys wear, generally (when it's decent and rainy/cold).

2. Wade Landscaping

Wade Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Workboots, kahki cargo shorts or jeans, and a plain colored t-shirt. If your going to have shirts, don't stencil the name. have it professionally made. makes you look more professional, not like a bumpkin

3. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

I like dickies for pants or shorts.....lighter than jeans.

4. BeSeenGraphics

BeSeenGraphics LawnSite Member

And don't forget your lettering on your shirts and such. Makes you look all the more professional.

5. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

I wear carhartt canvas work pants. I have had success with them.

6. Mike's LawnCare Landscape

Mike's LawnCare Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Work Boots Work Boots Work boots
    Pants Pants Pants Pants Pants
    Hat Hat Hat Hat Hat Hat Hat
    Safty Glasses
    and Ears
    and some kinda sirt If it rains have 2

7. Exmark Guy

Exmark Guy LawnSite Member

I usually wear a pair of jeans or cargo shorts, a plain t shirt, and STEEL TOE WORK BOOTS. Ive always be told never to run a mower or tractor with out work boots. (not sure if its on this site or not, but a guy said that he somehow got his foot under the deck and it sliced his regular work boot at the tip of his toe). Always wear eye gear with weed eaters, and even think about ear protection like plugs. If it rains, so what, at least it will cool you down. For the cold months when plowing or what ever, i wear a pair of carhart bibs, and a carheart coat and keep a sweat shirt with me if i get warm. Thats prety much my work wear attire. BTW.. do any of you guys use uniforms to look more professional, like matching pants/shorts and a company shirt?

8. datkinsonsr

datkinsonsr LawnSite Member

Definitley steel toe boots, safety glasses and ear protection! Loss of hearing is progressive.

9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

1. Don't waste your money on runners. Invest in a good pair of quality, Gore-Tex boots. Check Red Wing or Wolverine. They have a great selection. They're expensive, but worth the money. Your feet will not hurt, they will stay dry, and you'll be happy with your purchase.

2. Don't wear track pants. I wear Dickes, but jeans or heavy canvas pants will work fine also. Dickes are nice because they're inexpensive, they are loose, and they are cooler than jeans.

3. Check into local scree-printing shops for shirts. I got a whole bunch of company shirts for $7 a pop, printed.

4. Any brand of quality gore-tex rain wear will give you superior results than some cheap plastic rain coat. The Gore-Tex will allow you to breath, so on the hot-rainy days, you will stay drier. For the cooler/damp days I wear a Ridgeline jacket that I bought via Echo Outdoor Equipment. It's a great jacket, warm and pretty waterproof.

5. In the fall, I'll usually wear 1-2 sweatshirts, so I can take them off as I warm up. If it gets wet, then I'll throw a rain jacket over top, because most rain jackets don't trap the heat, they just keep you dry. In the winter, I'll wear fleece-lined Carhartt jeans, 1 t-shirt, 1 long sleeve shirt, then any combo of sweatshirts or light jacket that can be easily taken off if I get too warm. The secret to working in the cold is dressing in layers. I can't stand long underwear unless I'm hunting because it makes me sweat too much.

Please, if you have any questions, PM me. I can't control the weather, but I know how to dress every day of the year so I'm as comfortable and efficient as possible. I may be young, but I know how to dress for working outside. I've been doing it all my life.

10. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

Work boots: Georgia Boot STEAL TOE boots. The last pair I had lasted for seven years. They have more support and have better quality matierals in them.

Pants: Jeans or canvas work pants. If you're just doing gardening or grunt work and not running any equipment shorts are ok. If you're going to be weedeating or mowing you need to be in jeans or canvas work pants. They keep your legs from getting cut up from the trimmer and going by stuff on the mower. Look at it this way, pants won't stop .095 or whatever you use but they will slow it down. The skin on your legs sure won't. I know, I still have the scars.

Shirts: In the summer I would suggest a good light weight T shirt. If you look in walmart or a craft store you'll find kits that you run through your printer and then iron on the design.

For the rest see 93Chevy's post.