Lawn Care Forum banner

What Trailer is Best for an upgrade

6K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  julian weak 
#1 ·
currently I have a 5x12 3500lb single axel basic utility trailer, im looking to upgrade to a bigger trailer and better one. I have an f250 so weight is not an issue the two im deciding between is a

6.5x12,14,16ft 7k dual axle, with racks mesh sides and tool racks and boxes for about $2800
Or
5x12,14
6.5x12,14
3500lb axel with racks mesh sides tool racks and boxes $2300

My question is it worth the little extra, for the bugger one, I do a lot of sod,soil rock, heavy materials, mowing is a side note for my company but is becoming a bigger part. I plan on gettig a dump trailer also for the heavy materials, is the wear on the tires really that bad with a dual axle?

#2 ·
dual axle will most defiantly ride a lot smoother and keep from bouncing around equipment so much.

#4 ·
A theory of buying a single trailer to "do all" is likely a bad thing. Jack of all trades and master of none.

Buy a purpose built trailer for a single and exact purpose you need it for. If your hauling mowers, figure out exactly what you need or don't need. If your intent is to haul materials do the same.

Materials I highly advise a dump trailer. Skip all the small steps in between, and just go buy a nice dump trailer.

For mowing, it depends on your accounts, route, equipment. I really like 12x6.5 if your staying local. If your highway, I would go bigger with dual axel. We are investing in enclosed 20' trailers and even with those, we still love owning the 12' utility trailers to haul mis crap around.

#6 ·
I got a 7k 16' tandem first, with the intention that it would be a mowing trailer. For 3 years I used it for everything, but it was a pain, I have a second trailer that is a flatbed 10k 18' that I use for everything else, as soon as I can I'm getting a dump trailer though, the 18' was free from my family, if I had picked I would have gotten a dump first.
But honestly if you have a choice plan one mowing one brush/landscape trailer, it really gets hard trying to do both out of one trailer, either way get the largest trailer that you are comfortable/able to use in your area.

#8 ·
Upgrade to dual 7k axles, 4ft mesh sides and brakes on both axles. We haul a lot of sod, rock and tree parts. Weight adds up fast. I also spec`d ours with side gates. Makes unloading bulk material easier. Can be used as a leaf box. Other niceties are extra lighting for marking and work lights. Ladder racks are useful.

#10 ·
I suggest not getting a 12' trailer. When you grow and need to haul 2 mowers the 12' won't have enough room. I have 14' trailers . All are the 102" overall widths.
Disagree...12 foot v nose fits 2 standers and a 21 with room to spare.

#19 ·
Right now I’ve got a couple 32s and a couple push mowers, Then the usual blowers trimmers etc. the problem I’m having is I have no room in the truck bed as I have all the tools for the landscape jobs and gas and fert and everything. I plan to get Wright standers soon but haven’t decided if those are better than the walk behinds

#21 ·
Bouncy house blower too.

Nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.