What Troy-Bilt Lawn Mower Blades are Best for Mowing Tall Grass?

n-heptane

LawnSite Member
I own a Troy-Bilt Pony 42 (model year 2019) riding lawn mower. For this lawn mower, when side-discharging (no bagging, no mulching), which of the following Troy-Bilt mower blades would provide the cleanest cut (no stragglers or uncut / partially cut blades of grass) when mowing very tall grass?

- standard 2-in-1 blades
(https://www.troybilt.com/en_US/blades/2-in-1-blade-set-for-42-inch-cutting-decks/490-110-M108.html)

- high-lift blades
(https://www.troybilt.com/en_US/blad...t-for-42-inch-cutting-decks/490-110-Y108.html)

- something like Troy-Bilt's Xtreme (aka Gator blade) 2-in-1 blades (https://www.troybilt.com/en_US/blad...t-for-42-inch-cutting-decks/490-110-0137.html)

Thank you.

JP in KC

LawnSite Member
I've had the best luck with high lift blades in that situation. 2in1s obviously are a compromise, and the Gator style blades will tend to make a lot of mush up under the deck and clog it up unless it's very dry.

OP
N

n-heptane

LawnSite Member
I've had the best luck with high lift blades in that situation. 2in1s obviously are a compromise, and the Gator style blades will tend to make a lot of mush up under the deck and clog it up unless it's very dry.

Thank you for your recommendation. I know my biggest priority is to generate a clean cut, that is, no stragglers or uncut blades of grass. To achieve this, I gather that more lift is better, especially when mowing long grass, correct?

My second biggest priority would be to achieve good dispersion of clippings when I side-discharge, and again, I gather that high-lift blades would be best for this. Most information I'm coming across indicates that high-lift blades throw clippings farther, and it would seem to me that the farther clippings are thrown, the better they can disperse across the lawn.

I suppose a third priority would be to better chop-up the clippings so they decompose more quickly. I gather that gator blades would best chop-up my clippings, but I am concerned these blades may not offer enough lift to generate the cleanest possible cut; given the presence of the slots in the gator blade's lift wings, I don't see how they could generate as much lift as a non-gator high-lift blade. Moreover, I am concerned that gator blades would be the worst when it comes to increased build-up on the mower deck's inner surfaces.

Does this sound all about right?

OP
N

n-heptane

LawnSite Member
Gators would be a great blade but not for this situation, go with a high lift blade.

Oh, why do you think a non-gator high-lift blade would be best? I'm gathering it's because long grass needs more aggressive lifting suction to stand it upright so that the mower blade can uniformly cut each blade of grass to desired height. It would seem to me that even high-lift gator blades do not offer as much lift as high-lift non-gator blades. As I understand it, the presence of the slots or "teeth" on a gator blade's lift wing reduces how much lift can be generated.

Top Forums