Lawn Care Forum banner

What truck to buy .

9K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  biodale 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone !
I need help here on deciding what to buy
Not sure if I should buy a Chevy or Ford 2500 gas . Or a Chevy DMAX 2500 Diesal. Right now I have a GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 4wd . I leave in the state of Indiana where it snows there's a lot of salt And Trucks get rust pretty bad my GMC it's all rusted around with a 192k on it . All I'm pulling is a 6✖15 trailer. I'm a rookie I just started my own lawn care no to long a go. I Appreciate any comments would really help thank you ! .

#2 ·
Well it depends on many circumstances. First one is budget because we all are not Bill gates here. 2nd one is used or new because you deprecated a new truck but if you buy a used truck you can abuse it a little more.

As for me I really like the DMAX and I own 6 of them and 5 of them are company trucks and the other one is my personal one. The one thing I really like is the Allison transmission which is very reliable and is used in Semis every day in the us. My 2nd favorite would probably be the 2017 super duty because it is a sharp truck. Not to mention it has a 48 gallon tank so you go 850 miles b4 filling up. I currently own a GMC 2500 but my Ford Dealer has a single wheel f-350 platinum that is heavily discounted so I might trade in. Plus the super duty has a cab that is second to none with all the features and tech

#4 ·
Like River said depends on budget. We have 5 Super Duty trucks from 95-06. You can find good used F250 2wd gas trucks with 120k-150k that still have a lot of life left for around 6k here in KY. 4x4 would be a little more. Ours stay hooked to trailers 24/7 and haven't had any major problems.

#6 ·
for what you are doing gas is fine....fuel economy wont be great but the price of diesel as well as the higher sticker price will offset that...i do agree 3/4 ton is the direction to go but not necessary. If it is a work truck then all the offering in technology are necessary but if it is a daily driver too I would consider what I could afford.

#8 ·
hard to beat chevy 2500 or 3500. 5.7 or 6.0. Good trucks. Not knocking ford, I just haven't owned one. I would recommend a long bed or utility bed for basic lawn maintenance. The 25 or 3500 should work great for mowers, small tractors, etc. If you want to pull heavier loads and travel long distances then maybe then a diesel would be the way to go.

#9 ·
Uh hope not too controversial but the amount of power on modern pickups is mind boggling:dizzy: (Note, I want a Power Wagon with all my heart and soul).
I'm assuming that you are looking for some late model options?

Cheap and easy plenty of power is the first gen Silverado/Sierra chevy LS they are a dime a dozen, easy to find parts and ones that are rust free (Texas,AZ,OK etc). No serious quirks it been tried and tested, every mechanic and knows em and how to keep em running. You might be able to find a 6L vortec but that 5.3 is a good engine: simple, flows incredibly well and the block is made of Adamantium. Ford has some well known problems on the 5.4 and I'm not sure what happened to the early hemi's but again some issues.

Good luck and please keep updated!

BR,

~TW

#10 ·
I wouldn't overlook Dodge. I had a 2004 GMC sierra 4x4 duramax 2500 that It was great but started dollaring me to death. I looked long and hard at everything ford, gmc and chevy out there. Wanted low milage used to cut down on expence and let someone else pay new truck depreciation. Finally saw a 20113 dodge 2500 4x4 deisel that I decided to test drive. Never thought I'd own a dodge but drove it home that day. 58,000 miles for half the price of a new truck and love it. Keep your eyes open, take your time and be ready to pounce if you find a truck because someone will walk in the door behind you and buy it if you dont. Good luck

#12 ·
The one thing I really like is the Allison transmission which is very reliable and is used in Semis every day in the us.
Your Allison is wonderful but the big rigs get one that weigh 3x as much with a torque limit to match. I have one in my 1984 8x8 Oshkosh HEMTT, wonderful shifting transmission, designed to haul in excess of 80,000 lb. with ease. My 8V92 may not be as happy but the transmission is certainly up too the task.

#15 ·
Hey everyone !
Not sure if I should buy a Chevy or Ford 2500 gas . Or a Chevy DMAX 2500 Diesal. Right now I have a GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 4wd . I leave in the state of Indiana where it snows there's a lot of salt And Trucks get rust pretty bad my GMC it's all rusted around with a 192k on it . All I'm pulling is a 6✖15 trailer. I'm a rookie I just started my own lawn care no to long a go. I Appreciate any comments would really help thank you ! .
I would go with a GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 4wd with 192k. Stay out of debt and make some money! It may be older and not as pretty but your current truck will handle a 6x15 trailer with a couple mowers. Save up and sell/upgrade your truck when you have some cash.

#17 ·
Hey everyone !
I actually found a 2006 Chevy Silverado DMAX Turbo diesel HD 2500 with 202,000 for $ 18,500
Is that to much ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.