1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

what type and of mower to get for beginner?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by kingster, Jan 8, 2017.

1. kingster

kingster LawnSite Member

Hello all, I think I may be coming into my 6th year of running my lawn care business. At first I started off push mower and I just recently purchased my first used zero turn last year. It's a ariens zoom 34. I paid 275 for it running needing a pto clutch. I brought the part used for 50 and some belts. all in all I spent about 450 on the ariens. Man, the zero turn mowers are game changer. I got much more cliental, wefre able to do more yards and make more money. The ariens did good for the one year I had it. The things I didn't like: The cut was horrible, I would usually have to make atleast 3 passes on a customers yard in order for it to look nice. Also it has horrible traction, lets not mention hills. Last things was the deck size. I know you cant fault the mower for its deck size.
    What I do like: it can fit through any gate, the money I put into it I couldn't really complain.
    Now that it is off season I'm selling my ariens for a about 1000 and is looking to upgrade. I'm trying to keep my budget 2000 and under. I know there are guys who pay a hunk of money for there rigs, but this is just my hobby that I enjoy.
    What mower would you guys recommend in that price range?
    I was looking at the rzt 50 by cub cadet, but have already read bad reviews on it.
    what do you guys think?

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

If you're still a beginner after being in business for 6 years I think you need to find something less challenging than mowing lawns :)

areoseek, jkatw, K c m and 1 other person like this.
  3. kingster

kingster LawnSite Member

well I was referring to the mower. Last year was my first year with a zero turn mower. I'm seeking advice on a good zero turn mower to start with.

4. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Kingster,

I would be looking for a used (commercial) mower. As you found out having to triple mow is not very efficient, plus your compacting customers yards with all those passes.
    For $2000 you could get a half way decent walk behind and sulky. Or a 48" to 52" zeroturn with higher hrs. 1500-2000 hrs.
    Also do you keep your blades sharp, and deck adjusted correctly? Makes a huge difference on how well it will cut.

Avoid another homeowner machine, they don't have fast enough blade tip speed to ever do a decent job cutting.

Mr Stripe likes this.
  5. kingster

kingster LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice mow dad, I recently found a 48inch scag tiger for 1600. how good are those machines?

6. K c m

K c m LawnSite Bronze Member

very good Kingston. I have never run one of them but have demoed the v ride and the thing was a monster.

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

IMO you don't need a ZTR to be a professional

If I were todo it over again and I didn't live in leaf country USA
    I'd set up a company the deliberately didn't use ZTRS
    focus on tightly landscaped resi

8. kingster

kingster LawnSite Member

TPendagast, I mostly do residential yards. I have one tag that is maybe 2 in a half acres. I wouldn't mind a 48' deck, but I don't think I should go bigger then 52. K C m, The seller isn't responding back to my messages. I'm starting to lean toward a hustler now. How good are those machines?

9. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

Don't wanna just repeat the good advice above, call me lazy.

K c m likes this.
  10. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

6 yrs in - time to buy something commercial that will last. $500 on ur old mower + $2k on another used that may only last a cpl seasons. For another $1k or so u could buy a brand new WB under warranty that you don't have to upgrade for 5-10 yrs. Took me a long time to learn....Just spend the extra $ new or top of the line. They last 5x longer - work 5x better...But only cost 2x the $$.

Mr Stripe likes this.