1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

what type and of mower to get for beginner?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by kingster, Jan 8, 2017.

1. kingster

kingster LawnSite Member

Hello all, I think I may be coming into my 6th year of running my lawn care business. At first I started off push mower and I just recently purchased my first used zero turn last year. It's a ariens zoom 34. I paid 275 for it running needing a pto clutch. I brought the part used for 50 and some belts. all in all I spent about 450 on the ariens. Man, the zero turn mowers are game changer. I got much more cliental, wefre able to do more yards and make more money. The ariens did good for the one year I had it. The things I didn't like: The cut was horrible, I would usually have to make atleast 3 passes on a customers yard in order for it to look nice. Also it has horrible traction, lets not mention hills. Last things was the deck size. I know you cant fault the mower for its deck size.
    What I do like: it can fit through any gate, the money I put into it I couldn't really complain.
    Now that it is off season I'm selling my ariens for a about 1000 and is looking to upgrade. I'm trying to keep my budget 2000 and under. I know there are guys who pay a hunk of money for there rigs, but this is just my hobby that I enjoy.
    What mower would you guys recommend in that price range?
    I was looking at the rzt 50 by cub cadet, but have already read bad reviews on it.
    what do you guys think?

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

If you're still a beginner after being in business for 6 years I think you need to find something less challenging than mowing lawns :)

areoseek, jkatw, K c m and 1 other person like this.
  3. kingster

kingster LawnSite Member

well I was referring to the mower. Last year was my first year with a zero turn mower. I'm seeking advice on a good zero turn mower to start with.

4. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Kingster,

I would be looking for a used (commercial) mower. As you found out having to triple mow is not very efficient, plus your compacting customers yards with all those passes.
    For $2000 you could get a half way decent walk behind and sulky. Or a 48" to 52" zeroturn with higher hrs. 1500-2000 hrs.
    Also do you keep your blades sharp, and deck adjusted correctly? Makes a huge difference on how well it will cut.

Avoid another homeowner machine, they don't have fast enough blade tip speed to ever do a decent job cutting.

Mr Stripe likes this.
  5. kingster

kingster LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice mow dad, I recently found a 48inch scag tiger for 1600. how good are those machines?

6. K c m

K c m LawnSite Bronze Member

very good Kingston. I have never run one of them but have demoed the v ride and the thing was a monster.

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

IMO you don't need a ZTR to be a professional

If I were todo it over again and I didn't live in leaf country USA
    I'd set up a company the deliberately didn't use ZTRS
    focus on tightly landscaped resi

8. kingster

kingster LawnSite Member

TPendagast, I mostly do residential yards. I have one tag that is maybe 2 in a half acres. I wouldn't mind a 48' deck, but I don't think I should go bigger then 52. K C m, The seller isn't responding back to my messages. I'm starting to lean toward a hustler now. How good are those machines?

9. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

Don't wanna just repeat the good advice above, call me lazy.

K c m likes this.
  10. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Senior Member

6 yrs in - time to buy something commercial that will last. $500 on ur old mower + $2k on another used that may only last a cpl seasons. For another $1k or so u could buy a brand new WB under warranty that you don't have to upgrade for 5-10 yrs. Took me a long time to learn....Just spend the extra $ new or top of the line. They last 5x longer - work 5x better...But only cost 2x the $$.

Mr Stripe likes this.