1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

    Dismiss Notice

What type of Controller can I use with an Indexing Valve ?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Bluelude1, Sep 1, 2010.

  1. Bluelude1

    Bluelude1 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 70

    I recently moved to a house that has an irrigation system that is run off an indexing valve (I had never seen one before this). I noticed that there is a single antiphon above ground valve that feeds into the indexing valve and is hooked to a ancient controller that has all sorts of pins and wheels.

    I was wondering if you could run an indexing valve off of a modern controller? And if so are there any brands better than another for one of these things? In the past I have used both Rainbird and Weathermatic Controllers with positive results on a more conventional system, but this one has me a bit confused.


    Messages: 18,668

    Get one in which you can set a delay between zones. As long as you can set a 1 minute delay don't overspend on a controller for a lousy pos setup.
  3. 1idejim

    1idejim LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,316

    why the delay pete, educate me :)
  4. irritation

    irritation LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,590

    It's got to have time to index.
  5. Buck_wheat

    Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 585

    Hydro indexing valves are used in 90%+ of all residential installations in South Florida.:dizzy:

    The most common controller is an Intermatic; skip a pin between zones (you already have an ancient one). If your house is older and you are running city water, chances are you may have a 110VAC solenoid; check and make sure. If you look into the controller box and don't see it packed with a transformer, you have a 110 VAC solenoid. (Intermatic makes a 110VAC controller)

    If you are on a pump, there will be a 240 VAC pump start built into the controller.

    You can also use a Rainbird ESP Modular contoller or a Hunter, these are more commonly used in this area and they actually cost about the same as the Intermatic. If you are on a pump, you'll need a pump start relay to match the size of your pump motor... check the HP on the label.

    If you have a 110 VAC solenoid, I don't know of any modern digital controller that will produce 110 VAC to the coil, so you'll have to swap the coil with a 24 VAC coil; you'll need an adapter to use this on the master valve. Be sure to program a one or two minute delay between zones so the Indexing valve can cycle. (The pressure inside the indexing valve needs to be relieved so the disk can rotate to the next zone)

    Use a Combo valve if you are using city water; install an anti siphon device between the pump and the indexing valve if you don't. (make sure you have a check valve on the suction side)

    Or, you can always install a manifold at relatively great expense.

    If you are completly lost, send me a private message since I maintain large communities of Hydro Indexed irrigation, one in Light House Point.:waving:
  6. hoskm01

    hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,690

    :dizzy:110v in the ground. :::Makes note to turn that one off before attempting repair:::
  7. Buck_wheat

    Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 585

    nah... it's not 110vac in the ground, it goes directly from the controller to the master valve into a conduit or liquid tight conduit & fittings. the master valve which should be above ground should also be close by.
  8. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 50,550

    the lawn doesn't care what controller is used - pins and wheels are just fine
  9. Kiril

    Kiril LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 18,334

    ..... Yur old
  10. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 50,550

    dern tootin'

Share This Page