1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

What type of Insurance to use

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by curry, Jun 24, 2001.

  1. curry

    curry LawnSite Member
    Messages: 211

    What type of insurance do yall think I should carry for myself. I mow approximately 25 yards as a part-time job. How much should I be "bonded" for and is their a certain type I should get.
  2. kturner

    kturner LawnSite Member
    Messages: 53

    I don't know where you are located and what the laws are there, but I found that unless you're doing actual landscape work you don't need to be bonded. Just call to your local home/auto insurance office and ask them about one person business insurance rates for a lawn care business. The minumum's in our area were over 100.00 a month. Better luck to ya.
  3. curry

    curry LawnSite Member
    Messages: 211

    I live in Central Texas. Also, does yalls insurance cover a rock that your mower chunks and hits a car and brakes a window(hasnt happened YET but probably will and want to have the right coverage)
  4. lakegastonla

    lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 296

    Get liability insurance, this is the most basic kind and will protect you from property/personal damage you may cause in the course of doing business. Also, I would get an inland marine policy. This will protect your equipment from theft and damage. Regular auto insurance will not cover contents of your trailer if used for biz purposes.(should you have a wreck) Unless you can afford to lose all your equipment and start from scratch, the inland marine policy is a must, also. Complete coverage for the liability and inland marine policies should be around 1200 a year. Good luck.
  5. kturner

    kturner LawnSite Member
    Messages: 53

    Yeah, we're covered if we plant and hit a water main, 500,000 I think, medical, if we injure someone, all that stuff. All I really cared about was the rock through the window too. But, try Allstate or another regular ins. company.
    It should be about the same price as your truck premium.
  6. cp

    cp LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 263

    You got to have it.

    I agree with the other posts. You need a General Liability coverage and also the comm coverage on your vehicle and equipment.

    This is important, don't leave home without it.

    Good Luck..Chris

Share This Page