What type of roller after topdressing?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ofranzen, Jul 6, 2006.

  1. ofranzen

    ofranzen LawnSite Member
    Messages: 3


    I'm going to topdress my lawn soon and want to use a roller to get at least parts (the croquet court) smoother. All the guides I read here in Sweden calls for a mesh roller, if that is the proper term. I.e. one like this http://www.horbybruk.se/bilder/karror/sandning/3001.jpg but not many British or American guides even mention that type of roller but rather the regular smooth roller for the job.

    The reason for using a mesh roller is supposedly that a smooth roller compacts the surface too much but what I cannot understand is why a smooth roller weighing the same as a "pro" reel mower would do more damage. The "pro" reel mower has a smooth roller as too "rear wheel", no?

    I'm not planning on using the roller for striping or anything but just after topdressing and possibly overseeding once or twice a year tops. Can the smooth roller really harm the lawn?

    The main reason for asking is that a mesh roller costs over five times as much as a smooth, water-filler roller. Also, it seems rather obvious that a smooth roller will yield a smoother result than a mesh roller.

    Any thoughts on this are highly appreciated.

    Sweden - Not the land of perfect lawns
  2. TurfProSTL

    TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 693

    Not sure what type of soil you have (sandy, clay, loam) but that roller looks like it would be great for seeding in very loose soils.

    For leveling, I am thinking like you - a smooth roller would give better results.

    You know you don't have to fill the drum all the way. So maybe start with repeated lightweight rolling until you reach the desired results.

    Aerate the crocquet field during your 'off season' to correct any compaction caused by rolling.
  3. dcgreenspro

    dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA
    Messages: 688

    find an old piece of metal cyclone fence and hook it to the back of your tractor or mower, it will do just fine.
  4. ofranzen

    ofranzen LawnSite Member
    Messages: 3

    I'm not sure what type of soil "loam" is but I've got rather sandy soil with perhaps a bit too much drainage.

    Cyclone fence... hmm, do I understand correctly that I should drag something like a 3*3 feet piece like a net behind the mower?

Share This Page