What used mower? Opinions.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Cxb5nm8, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Cxb5nm8

Cxb5nm8 LawnSite Member

Hi Craig here. I'm starting out part time next spring. No looking to make any money. Just putting money away for equipment and marketing the following year. Looking for any input on this. Looking to buy a used walk behind. Found two on Facebook. Going on pictures alone so far. They are both around 6 yrs old according to the sellers.
    #1 48" Exmark Metro. Belt driven. Velke and catcher. Used residentially. No hour meter. Couldn't figure out how to put a link to the listing. For sale by Shannon Krieble Pool. Trappe PA. $1500

#2 48" Exmark turf tracer. Hydro. Electric start. Floating deck. No hour meter???. Supposedly used on a golf course. Guy named Justin Martin Denver Pa. $1700.

Would appreciate any wisdom on this decision.

2. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TX

For your first mower, I'd suggest the belt drive. Cheap. Easy to maintain. Easy to operate. It's a win in my book. I actually never switched to Hydro walk behinds. I only moved to hydros when I got my first zero turn. The only real advantage to a Hydro Walk behind is if you're cutting wet grass often. If you get the belts wet, you can be in some trouble until they dry out. Some Exmarks used a double drive belt on the wheels. They worked well.

Cxb5nm8 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Cxb5nm8

Cxb5nm8 LawnSite Member

Thanks. Hopefully i won't have to mow in the rain much. Not planning on having too many yards at first. Just want to focus on building a client base and getting really good at the trade. So the following year i can hit it at full speed. Sorry for the rant. Again thanks for your advice.

4. OP
    OP
    Cxb5nm8

Cxb5nm8 LawnSite Member

Is $1500 to much to pay for a used walk behind? I've seen prices all over the place. That seems to be around the middle.

5. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TX

$1000-$1500 is the going rate for a good used walk behind.

6. OP
    OP
    Cxb5nm8

Cxb5nm8 LawnSite Member

Thanks. I am so glad i found LawnSite. The information and experience is invaluable.

hort101 likes this.
  7. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

There's zero chance that I would buy a belt driven walk behind. When the belts get wet and they WILL get wet you're done until you get them dried out. So many others reasons to go with a hydro driven unit rather than a gear drive. Switching gears and going from a forward drive and then stopping and moving the gear selector to reverse becomes a PITA real quick. If you're mowing wide open areas with few turns and maneuvers a belt would be a little more manageable. If you're mowing in tight places with several obstacles then the hydro has no equal. Save a little extra money and get a hydro. I promise you'll be happier.

ltdlawn and ARN Greencare like this.
  8. ARN Greencare

ARN Greencare LawnSite Senior Member

X2

Belt drive walk behinds are useless so lang as hydrostatic ones are out there. Reversing is a real chore and adds time to your job. Think of a Garden tractor and having to back up on one with a gear drive verses a hydro. Now multiply the aggravation by about three on a walk behind. Cause you now have to lock one of the brakes before you release the handle bar to engage reverse, now unlock it, then stop and lock it once again to disengage reverse, and unlock it once again to go forward...

K&L Landscaping likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Cxb5nm8

Cxb5nm8 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input.

10. OP
    OP
    Cxb5nm8

Cxb5nm8 LawnSite Member