What was the hardest part you found about gaining credibility?

andersman02

LawnSite Bronze Member
Word of mouth is best and generally will always be our best form of new customers. A different kind of weird of mouth is online reviews. Push them

Trisao

LawnSite Member
Balancing doing a good job and going the extra mile for each customer and explaining that you are being paid to mow the yard, not maintain their pet projects. People get really pissy when you don’t do what they ask without asking for more money.

Example: Ive been in business for 5 years and only recently lost my first customer. I had one of my guys last season doing clean up for free while I finished mowing because I didn’t want to pay him to sit. This season it got out of hand because they don’t do anything to upkeep the area so I stopped doing the extra parts. Now they are angry and will likely tell others they didn’t like my service because they aren’t getting freebies anymore. They wanted me to keep cleaning out their garden and flower beds while still only paying 55 per mow.

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
You have a lot of competition in the Ridgewood area that have been around a long time. You have to distinguish your self from them by going the extra mile while charging a competitive price.
Once you do that, ask for referrals and talk to their neighbors.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Well I just lost/fired a customer for mow and spray. But sometimes you gotta do what cha gotta do. So I'm sure they will speak badly of us. So you can lose cred as well. But you don't start cursing at my employees and or the job even if it's via text. In a 3 page rant when they did the bes t they could given it came a down pour on them mid job. Not the first time I've had issues with these particular customers. Maybe I could have handled it better or my response better myself. Now I forgot why I was posting this.

Mitty87

LawnSite Silver Member
Just do good work for a few years and cater to your clients every need. Then you can pick and choose and charge a premium price. I try to get everyone who calls a quote but I can’t do that anymore. I honestly get stressed out now when a job gets accepted.

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
Well I just lost/fired a customer for mow and spray. But sometimes you gotta do what cha gotta do. So I'm sure they will speak badly of us. So you can lose cred as well. But you don't start cursing at my employees and or the job even if it's via text. In a 3 page rant when they did the bes t they could given it came a down pour on them mid job. Not the first time I've had issues with these particular customers. Maybe I could have handled it better or my response better myself. Now I forgot why I was posting this.
I guess because you're angry.
1626312490116.png

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
LOL. I'm usually the most calm and laid back person but you diss (if that's still jargon) my mow crew when they stick it out and finished your fuckeon yard in the middle of a rain storm and even tried to blow off the curb whatever. Then they wrote "I can send you video of them trying to cut the lawn" to which I replyed I don't need your effin video as my truck has 3 cameras on it and they were busting there arses trying to get yours done. Oh well.

Top Forums