What went wrong??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Our Backyard, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Our Backyard

Our Backyard LawnSite Member

I installed Elite Tall Fescue sod in April. Prepared the soil, and laid it. Everything looked good for awhile. It established and took root very quickly

upload_2019-7-2_17-3-14.jpeg

Six weeks after install home owner mowed it

upload_2019-7-2_17-4-0.jpeg

Three weeks ago they called me and said everything was was dying. I went and looked. A lot of brown spots and what appears to be dead grass.

upload_2019-7-2_17-5-5.jpeg

To me it looks like the dead spots follow the way they were mowing the yard.

Any help or best fixes for this problem. I don’t want to have to drop in new sod

This install was in the metro Atlanta area. Yard does not get a lot of sun so that is why Fescue was picked for the job

2. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

90 temperature will kill fescue, nothing you can do about it. Reseed in the fall. NO new sod until fall!!!

Walker56, sjessen, kemco and 2 others like this.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Why did they need new sod?
    Probably because they didn't spend a few pennies more for irrigation.
    If you look carefully--you will see a lawn sprinkler--which means they actually know that it got dry.
    If you look with a critical eye--you will see the fescue is doing fine in the shade--obvious--that the sun dried out the areas in the sun, but not in the shade.
    If you give me the address, I will look up their water bill online, chances are it is a lot lower than their neighbors in similar houses--but with green grass.

Drive them out to the sod farm--show them what proper irrigation looks like. Same Elite sod--looks fine, right?

But...you will have to be diplomatic and professional about this. Plan your approach carefully.

A soil moisture meter is a good idea. Check the moisture level in several spots--let them argue with a machine.

This is a good spot for a battery-operated Melnor sprinkler timer.
    https://www.homedepot.com/s/melnor%20timer?NCNI-5

4. OP
    OP
    Our Backyard

Our Backyard LawnSite Member

Do you think there is any saving it if I get them on a watering schedule with those timed sprinklers?

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

No

6. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

install looks good, id say they didn't water enough, watered to much and probably stressed it out with dull mower blades like everyone else and got fungus. needs to be aerated and seeded and not on your dime. did you put good topsoil down? and apply starter to it?

Puttinggreens and hort101 like this.
  7. walkinonwater27

from ct

also sod comes with heavy thatch and needs to be aerated once its established or it doesn't really every get "watered". everything gets hung up in that thatch layer

8. walkinonwater27

from ct

I would aerate it asap and it might perk up actually

9. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

100% spot on as usual. I would also recommend doing these things before hand. I always explain to the customer why or why not something will work. Lack of watering and shade are 1 a and 1 b

10. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

Expose the roots to dry heat in the summer?

Can you elaborate? From everything I've been taught and understood it is a terrible idea. I'm not disagreeing though. I honestly would like to know your reasoning.

GrassManKzoo and Mark Oomkes like this.