Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
i bought an '88 toyota truck in 1994 for $6000 used with 100k miles on it. i drove it for the next 12 years up to 300k miles and sold it for $1000 and it was still running perfectly.

those days are long gone man. i drove that truck for 10 years with no payment. you wouldn't believe how much money that frees up. no truck payment for 10 years man. think about that.

buying a used truck now is almost pointless unless you stumble upon a great deal. you find a toyota truck now with 100k miles on it and they want $15k or more. might as well just buy a brand new one with 0 miles on it for $20k which is what i did.

old truck:

new truck:

In November of 1989 (I was 19) I ordered and paid cash for the following truck. Still have the cancelled check somewhere...

1990 Chevy K-3500 SRW Silverado (the top trim package)
Extended Cab - Long bed - 4x4
454 EFI TH-400 3.73's
I ordered EVERY available option

$20,533.86

That was for a fully loaded truck! You couldn't spend more on a pickup then.

Now, they didn't have power heated mirrors, heated seats, bluetooth or leather back then. Heck, they didn't even offer power seats as an option!

I haven't configured a comparable modern day truck to check the price, but I'd assume it'd be at least double.

In November of 1989 (I was 19) I ordered and paid cash for the following truck. Still have the cancelled check somewhere...

454 EFI TH-400 3.73's

$20,533.86

Now, they didn't have power heated mirrors, heated seats, bluetooth or leather back then. Heck, they didn't even offer power seats as an option!

I haven't configured a comparable modern day truck to check the price, but I'd assume it'd be at least double.
Double?? Try triple!!! Truck prices are crazy

Double?? Try triple!!! Truck prices are crazy
Yes, FULLY LOADED 1990 - VS - FULLY LOADED 2013 Probably triple.

But, FULLY LOADED 1990 - VS - SAME EXACT OPTIONED just a 2013 ...Probably closer to the double plus some change.

ever notice that things cost 3-4 times as much these days yet they last half as long? my dad still has a '66 mustang and a '72 chevy c-10 truck both still running on their original engines. they were bought new for less than $2500.

it's funny how far we've come. (laughs)

that's just cars and trucks. don't get me started about other things. we still have my grandparent's refridgerator out in the building. 50 years old or more still going strong. probably cost $50-$100 to buy. try buying a new one. thing will be broken within 2-5 years and it cost $1000.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
^^haha funny you say that..my parents live in my grandparents old house now and there is a giant chest freezer in the basement that is 60 years old and has ran non stop, except for the ocasional power outage..
Posted via Mobile Device

454 EFI TH-400 3.73's

$20,533.86

Almost triple. Go to the Ford truck website and assemble a truck and sit down for the approximate price.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just went to Chevy and did that.

Couldn't get it above $40K (Apples to Apples) 2500HD 6.0 4x4 ext cab LT

Loaded then to Loaded now....easily. There are options now that just weren't available then.

Inflation certainly has taken a toll in regards to vehicle pricing, but in all fairness, there is a lot more to look at than just the price difference. In the 1970's and early 1980's, those trucks didn't have fuel injection. Power brakes, power steering, automatic transmissions, air conditioning and FM radio were options. I'm not sure if you could even get power windows in trucks until the 90's. OE tires, if you were lucky, might last 25,000 miles. Airbags were non-existant until what, the mid 80's, and at first were only installed in cars, I believe. Antilock brakes didn't show up until the 90's either, I don't believe.

Yes, prices were ridiculously low compared to now, but one also needs to remember that you get a lot more when buying even a plain Jane truck now, especially when it comes to comfort and safety.

You must have been looking at a loaded Lariat with a diesel, because I can get a extended cab f-250 wide body 4x4 gas for $33,000.

I get a mopar discount so I can get a Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 gas with a snow plow prep for $37,000.

I can't remember the exact number for the Chevy, but a regular cab 8ft bed 4x4 6.0 snow plow prep was in the range of $41,000.

I checked out Tundra and they were in the high $30's as well.

I personally don't run Ford's and I never plan to.

-Michael

I'm on my 5th red F150, having just replaced the 99 with a 2011 I found with only 6 thousand miles. You take your time, and use the internet to your advantage, and you will get a nice price. Gotta shop multiple states/dealers. As to the original question, I don't even remember what year my first truck was, let alone what I paid for it! LOL Here's the new rig.

Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.