Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have a customer who is a weekly. we drove by her house today and the grass hasn't grown (any). and i stress any. what would you do? i already made up my mind but i was just wanting opinions. thanks.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
If the client doesn't call in advance to skip or postpone mowing, it gets mowed. I've had occasions where a crew chief would "skip" a cut only to get reamed because the client was going to host a party in the next day or so. I have also been reamed for "what were you cutting?" Our contract reads weekly service and client must call to request to skip a mowing.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
If a residential lawn doesn't need cutting, I don't cut it. But if its a commercial property and I see weeds sticking up, it gets cut. I hate this weather, do i cut or not, drives me insane sometimes.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Ifs its a residentual and does not need cutting, I do not cut it. I hate it when its like that though.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
2005 Toyota Tundra MAX reg. cab, V6
Lazer Z, 60" deck, 27 kol.,ultra-vac QDS
John Deere 737
John Deere 717 (sold)
John Sabre, 14.5hp, 38" deck,(used for gated yards)
Echo 650 BP blower
Echo 200 edger
Echo weedeaters, 2000 & 2100 model
Echo hedge clippers, 1700 & 2400 model
accelerator XL grass catcher
-------21" hercules push mower----------
sthil hand held blower
6.5 X 13 trailor

What's a hercules push mower?

Oh and I think if it doesn't need cutting don't cut it. I worked for a guy once where he would cut a lawns that really didn't need it and they didn't like it cut for no reason.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I try to contact the customer and explain to them that it does not appear that their property needs to be cut at this time and stressing it further during these conditions is not recommended in my opinion. But, if for some reason they want it mowed then mow it. This method heads off any problems and lets the customer know that you are taking care of business.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
If its residential i skip it.Mowing when it doesnt need it will just kill it even more.If you skip it for a week you might get lucky and be able to cut it the next week.

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
DLCS If a residential lawn doesn't need cutting, I don't cut it. But if its a commercial property and I see weeds sticking up, it gets cut. I hate this weather, do i cut or not, drives me insane sometimes.
Same practice here and yes it does tend to push one over the edge at times :waving:

-Geoff

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
If in fact the customer knows they are a "weekly" customer, I would cut it. My justification when I do it is that the quote that I gave them takes into consideration that grass will more in the spring and fall and not so much during the mid summer if rain is not present. Having said that, I don't ask them for MORE money when I have to to double cut when the grass is thicker. So in my opinion, I would cut it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Turfdude said:
If the client doesn't call in advance to skip or postpone mowing, it gets mowed. I've had occasions where a crew chief would "skip" a cut only to get reamed because the client was going to host a party in the next day or so. I have also been reamed for "what were you cutting?" Our contract reads weekly service and client must call to request to skip a mowing.
mine also, but it state's they must call no less then 2 days in advance for scheduling purpose's. or it gets cut. you tell us on mow day or when we get there i just doubled.

·
Banned
17 Posts
I dont cut it if it doesnt need it. I do infact charge the customer a 5 dollar trip charge for not calling me and letting me know that it didnt need cutting. I have collected 6 so far this month and no complaints. I just explain it to my customers that gas isnt free and i am on top of my job making sure their lawn looks nice.

·
Banned
5,112 Posts
I would cut it just cut it as high as you possibly can.
As to the above post,it is not your customers responsibility to check and call you if it does not need to be cut and to penalize them for not doing something that is not their responsibility is bad business.

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
It all depends what turns you on... I know some folk are very aggressive about this, whereas I am not.

I look out for my customer, some want to know if I am cheaper and I tell them not by the cut, but in the long run I save them at least 2-3 grass cuts over the next guy and thus it IS cheaper over say, a season's term.

Some LCO's brag about how they get 1k / year out of a customer... Most of mine are in the 400-600 dollar / year range, so yes it works and it's almost cheaper than if they do it themselves, if you really think about it. And to be cheaper (in the long run) is my goal, I am here to save the customer money, otherwise why hire me?

When someone hires me we usually go over the scheduling at which point I explain to them part of the reason my rates are a bit high is because sometimes I come out, the lawn doesn't need cutting so I don't cut it. The extra 5 bucks makes up for this, and I stay on top of things as I can come out within a day or two (sometimes same day) should things get out of hand accidentally.
Some customers DO want me to cut no matter what, but most don't. I let it grow fairly tall between cuts since I have a very powerful machine, it doesn't faze my mower if the grass is a bit taller, so long it's not ridiculous.
IF I let it go too long and it takes me longer to cut, I do NOT charge extra so long the customer did not influence the problem, so to speak.
Sometimes I get skru'd, most often I do not...
Most my customers appear to appreciate it, a few do not...
So the war goes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I cut no matter what. It's shouldn't be your loss because your customers don't water properly especially if you have an agreement with them with them fully aware that you only provide weekly service. Some of my customers grass gets like hay in this heat especially if it don't rain for a while and I still go over it with no complaints.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I tell all my accts that if it doesnt need it just call the night before to let us know. 1 time this year has someone called then when I went 2 weeks later it was half way up my shins. I charged him 50% more. never again has he called to say it didnt need it. I hate to loose money but if I go charging my customers for un-needed work they will find someone else

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.