Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took over 5 properties from a guy that closed up shop because he moved to N.C. Today I get a call from one of the customers about his screen enclosure around his pool having tears. Obviously from the trimmer. I noticed the tears the first time I did the properties but did not think anything of it as they were already there. Now I am thinking that I should have walked the property with the homeowner before starting the first job. But they are NEVER home when I am there, I still have not met them in person and they have paid ontime thus far since the changeover.

I plan on explaining to them that the tears were already therem but I know he is going to expect me to fix the problem.

What would you guys do in the same situation?
a. tell them it was pre existing and your not responsible.
b. offer to split costs of materials and fix yourself.
c. pay all expenses and fix yourself.

thanks for replies

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I recently took over 5 properties from a guy that closed up shop because he moved to N.C. Today I get a call from one of the customers about his screen enclosure around his pool having tears. Obviously from the trimmer. I noticed the tears the first time I did the properties but did not think anything of it as they were already there. Now I am thinking that I should have walked the property with the homeowner before starting the first job. But they are NEVER home when I am there, I still have not met them in person and they have paid ontime thus far since the changeover.

I plan on explaining to them that the tears were already therem but I know he is going to expect me to fix the problem.

What would you guys do in the same situation?
a. tell them it was pre existing and your not responsible.
b. offer to split costs of materials and fix yourself.
c. pay all expenses and fix yourself.

thanks for replies
Play it by ear when u go talk to him.. If his attitude scks then screw him....if he is kool and understands that u didnt do it and just wants to get it fixed, heck do it at cost and have a customer for life. By cost i mean materials plus wha it took for ya to get there and back (i.e. not alota dough). i never make up my mind before i get there when dealing with a customer who is upset, confused lost whatever the case may be....also do it in person never over the phone. Just me .02 hope it helps out a little.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Play it by ear when u go talk to him.. If his attitude scks then screw him....if he is kool and understands that u didnt do it and just wants to get it fixed, heck do it at cost and have a customer for life. By cost i mean materials plus wha it took for ya to get there and back (i.e. not alota dough). i never make up my mind before i get there when dealing with a customer who is upset, confused lost whatever the case may be....also do it in person never over the phone. Just me .02 hope it helps out a little.
DITTO !!! !!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
sounds a bit similar to what I just posted

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=245164

I will be honest not sure what to tell you....I have a had time owning up to something I know I did not do....and I would have concerns that from now on anything that was broken would be on you....especially since they might think you had tried to "sneak it by" with the screen....and besides when you add in time and any materials that probably kills any profit you would have made from one cut...I don't see any client as being "for life" so I see the need to make money on each cut

I guess this is just the bad part of the job :(

good luck and I hope you can see something that shows them it has been torn for a while and they will realize that

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.................??????????
Tell him that it was pre-existing damage and if'n he doesn't believe you, show him the back of your shovel and charge him for your time with this ridiculous accusation. No sir. I wouldn't take it.
Aucun monsieur. Le dos de ma pelle est tout qu'il obtiendrait.

·
Registered
249 Posts
pay for it yourself, who knows might be the best customer youll ever have
Then what are you gonna do when he walks over the place and notices

"This coax cable is cut!!"

And you know you didn't do it--but the last LCO did

or

"The back porch door glass has been pecked with a rock!"

Gracious------you'll wind up paying HIM to mow HIS yard!!!

There's some things the house owner is just gonna have to "pony up" to and pay himself

·
Banned
4,484 Posts
Don't fix anything you didn't break. The previous post was right. A) He'll think you're a weasel who tried to get away with it and already be hitting the yellow pages for your replacement, B) life is about more than money, right and wrong matters too, C) A reasonable person would realize that it was quite possible that it was damaged during one of the previous 125 visits from the other guy rather than the one you've done. D) pay it and you'll be paying for every other thing the guy finds wrong with the house now since you just told him you're a dufus who rips screens open with your trimmer and can't be trusted. Wind knocks down and breaks his $125 wind chimes? Your fault. Neighbor kid pops a window with a bb gun? You hit it with a rock. His visiting grandkids do a number on his flower beds? It'll be your fault.

Tell him you know you didn't do it, period, if there was a chance you did you'd consider paying for it, but you didn't. And if you're going to work for him he's going to have to understand that if you damage something you'll pay for it but you're not a liar and you're not so desperate for work that you'll bend over.

The repair cost is negligible. It's the principle of the thing.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Tell him the truth. You didn't't do it, but noticed on your first visit. Truth always works best
This is the best place to start, then personally I would offer to replace the screen for cost as it was not my doing or come to some mutual agreement so that nobody really loses and both parties are happy, remember that customers rarely share stories of all the good things you do but they are sure to tell everyone when you do something wrong. Half the guys on this site would tell you screw him, but what does some screen and a little of your time cost? very little to make someone feel like you go the extra mile for them and it may not be paid right back to you but one day it will come back around, you choose which it is, positive or negative. And after this issue has been resolved you might just want to walk the property with him so that you are both on the same page.

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
the last 2 posts are on the money for me. But i would look at it as if i were in his shoes. He prob never saw it until you started. So obviously thinks you did it. Explain to him it was already there, offer to replace it. Keep the peace. Screens are cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.