What would you do?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Yardvarkman, May 11, 2019.

1. Yardvarkman

Yardvarkman LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

I was on a job that was on a corner lot with multiple trucks and trailers. We unhooked our tilt trailer in the street and it was partially in front of the property next door. I would have put it in front of our customers house but there were cars parked on the other side and we would have blocked the road. We started at 7:30 and found out after we had dropped the trailer that another landscaper was supposed to be working at the property next door but didn’t show up until 11:30. When he finally showed we had already finished with the first side where we had unloaded the excavator and were working around the corner at the other side of the property. His worker came up to us and asked if we could move our trailer when they got to that end of their project. I told him “shouldn’t be a problem to move it a little with a machine” since the truck hauling the trailer was hauling materials to and from our site.
    When they got to the trailer a couple hours later they came over and asked if we could move it now. I stopped what I was doing and walked down to the trailer where they were working with a skid steer. I figured it would be quicker and easier to have them move it rather than track out of the yard and 300 yards to the trailer. I told the guy my plan and he told me he “didn’t have time, I’m trying to get my job done and to move it myself”.
    ( Keep in mind the trailer is legally parked on a city street with cones at each corner.)
    His attitude towards the situation really rubbed me wrong so I told him that if he was to busy, then I was also to busy and my trailer would be fine where it was at. He looked shocked and told me I had to move my trailer since it wasn’t in front of our property. I told him again that we can simply push the trailer with his machine and be done with it. Once again he told me to move it myself with my own equipment or truck.
    I told him the trailer was fine where it’s at and walked away.

What would you have done?

Matthews Lawn Care likes this.
  2. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

I’d send him a Christmas card with a one year membership to the jelly of the month club

3. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

The exact same as you is what I’d have done.

A few weeks ago I was working in a new sub division(houses still being built) at a new customers property. I was just there to mow that day(30 min) and had parked along the curve in front of their house. Completely out of everyones way except for this jackwad dump truck operator. While I’m standing on the lawn talking to my customer about their landscape, lawn, etc. He stops and gets out of the dump truck and yells “get this F’n truck outta my way” throws his hand up and goes to get back in his truck. Well, that was it, I lost it. I jumped down this dudes neck in front of the entire sub division, workers, dogs, you name it, etc. long story short, I made him ask me nicely to move my truck and apologize for being disrespectful before I was moving it anywhere.

Sad thing is, he could have made that turn without me pulling up 20’ if he had a clue how to drive that dump truck. That’s no joke either. Dude prob shouldn’t have a CDL.

Cam15 likes this.
  4. Skol

Skol LawnSite Member

I've had similar spats with mail carriers. There is a neighborhood in town with mailboxes on both sides of the road (weird, I know). It's literally impossible to not block a mailbox, unless you want to block a driveway.... Heaven forbid they have to get out of their little trucks once in a while.

Mark Oomkes, TPendagast and Cam15 like this.
  5. TomH&H

TomH&H LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Coopersburg, PA

If you're legally on the street, there's not much he can really say. I probably would have moved it if I could have and I was asked nicely, but you don't have to. Just don't expect any favors from that guy if you ever run into him again.

Cam15 likes this.
  6. TomH&H

TomH&H LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Coopersburg, PA

I had a similar situation last year. My truck and dump trailer parked along a curb. Another landscaper pulled up to mow the house across the street. So between us, we narrowed the residential street, but there was plenty of room to get by.

Lady pulls up in a smaller Porsche SUV and starts yelling that we need to move these vehicles, she needs to get through. I walked down to her to tell her she could fit, but she wasn't hearing it. I told her I could fit a tractor trailer through there, and since she gave me an attitude, I wasn't moving. I went back to work, she sat there. Then my cell phone rings, this lady called the number on my truck to complain about this horrible employee. I just stood in the yard and waved. Then a trash truck went around her and drove between me and the other guy just fine.

7. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

I've been in that situation before. I was parked in front of my customers house cutting the lawn and a tree service parked across from me blocking the road. Luckily I was just finishing up and there was no problem. I have to say though your comment "( Keep in mind the trailer is legally parked on a city street with cones at each corner.)" Down here it is illegal to park on a street with center lines. Even if you have the cones out. The police don't say to much about it but they did tell me in order to park on any street legally I would need to obtain a permit. Sounds stupid but the law is the law!

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  8. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Oh boy the mail carriers. They get so pissy if they have to get out of the truck but I kinda get it. I’ve had some long chats with our mail carrier. Although he is a “rural carrier” the same “rules” apply. Not supposed to back up, get out of the truck, shut the lid completely(just flip it), etc. and yet usps wonders why their business has been down?

Mark Oomkes, Skol and hort101 like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Yardvarkman

Yardvarkman LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

I had planned to move the trailer since that’s what any decent person would do but when he copped an attitude I simply chose to treat him with the same respect he was giving me. I’m not in the business to create enemies but I guess every once in a while it’s going to happen.

Mark Oomkes and TomH&H like this.
  10. Skol

Skol LawnSite Member

Yeah, a good buddy of mine is a mail carrier, and he has mentioned similar rules too, though he said they're loosely enforced, and carriers don't have a problem breaking the rules if it's convenient for them.... Kind of a funny story, he says a lot of the carriers sit around in the mornings when they're getting their mail sorted and compare/complain about how many times they had to get out of their trucks the day before.... Having said all that, I avoid parking in front of mailboxes if I can.