Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a guy call me for a bid on a residential property. 6000 k, not a big deal, for the front yard that is. The back yard you had to go down a flight of stairs, I didn't count them but it was longer than going to the next floor of a house. Anyways the backyard was down there and I would have to carry my push mower all the way down it. Would you guys do it? Or is there something I could use to do the back yard that is light? How much extra should be charged?

·
Registered
587 Posts
jajwrigh, you muscular s.o.b :D

i would have to politely refuse him, and laugh at the thought once i got in my truck.

mmmm, on the other hand, if the customer is desperate, i might tell him that if he buys a push mower and leaves it back there, we might be able to negotiate a deal.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Can a path be made to get a 48 down there?....You'd be surprised how steep a hill a walkbehind can go up and down.....
(just don't do it when it's too wet or you may have to wait until it dries up).....

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
I have carried a 21" mower down stairs many of times. Carry it down is easy, the bringing it back up after you are tired from mowing down there is the hard part

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Originally posted by jajwrigh
Just carry the 21"! They are not that heavy! Add like an extra $5-$10 to the price of the cut....that should be fair!
Not very heavy, what are you Hulk Hogan?. A 120 lbs is more than I will pack up and down a flight of stairs every week.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
percision cut-We do a house thats the same deal as this.

We use trimmers to do the whole lawn. Its got 2 small areas fenced in; in the front yard and a flight of stairs going down to the back. With a shindaiwa t270, it takes about 8-10 minutes to cut the back yard.

The entire property is on a lake. Its fairly quick, takes 2 guys about 20 mins. 1 guy does the front areas, then grabs the blower. The other guy does the back. Works out well.

I wouldnt blow him off, its not going to be as bad as you are imagining it. However, I would much rather take my trimmer down and spend 2 extra minutes that worrying about lugging a 21" around and taking it down stairs, just less hassle that way.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Originally posted by specialtylc
Not very heavy, what are you Hulk Hogan?. A 120 lbs is more than I will pack up and down a flight of stairs every week.
i dont think he met literally carry the mower, i think he met roll it down the steps by the back wheels, not pick it up:D

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
I would use the trimmer. Unless your one of those "trimmer gaurd stays of for saftey guys" you can get the string pretty long and it goes quite quick. We do a couple like that because i dont evan own a 21 inch mower.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is no way to roll anything down a hill. Everything is terraced but I did think about using my trimmer and just might. We'll see if he calls back.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Originally posted by lawnman_scott
I would use the trimmer. Unless your one of those "trimmer gaurd stays of for saftey guys" you can get the string pretty long and it goes quite quick. We do a couple like that because i dont evan own a 21 inch mower.
good point, i should have mentioned that when talking about the one we do. yeah, if you run guards on the trimmers, than its going to take alot longer. with a 270, no guard and alot of string is how we work it.

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
i had the same exact estimate last year. this is what i did. there was front and back yard, about 4.5 k total. i told him $30 for that. same scene with the stairs, there was another level of grass, up about 80 freakin steps. a little patch of grass like 2 k . i told him $20 extra for the mountaintop, i will put a pushmower up there, and keep it there under a tarp. he said too much $$.

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
too much! Up eighty steps I think that price was just right. He will probably find a neighbor kid to do it for $5

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Having him leave a mower down there for you is the only option. He's the one with a poorly designed home. You shouldn't be penalized for that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.