What would you guys charge for this?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Andrew N, Apr 17, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Andrew N

Andrew N LawnSite Member

Yeah that's true. Currently I'm not making enough money. Things have tripled this year but still not enough.

2. OP
    OP
    Andrew N

Andrew N LawnSite Member

Yeah currently I charge 45 a man hour so 600 would have been where I would be at but still I want to charge more, i just dont know what the standard is.

3. OP
    OP
    Andrew N

Andrew N LawnSite Member

Yeah I thought I had pics but just the pile helps get a good idea of what I should be charging. Seems like between 1000-2000 is what the range is typically according to this thread. I just need to stop feeling guilty for charging more haha.

4. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

It'll go away. First part of my first year I felt bad too....I was pricing like the other legit non lowballers around here, but still felt bad.

I think it was more like the whole "I would never hire someone to mow my lawn, so no one else will either" thing....Once you have people accepting your price and only a few balking at it it was easier. And that first winter of eating Ramen, you'll change that guilty feeling real quick.

Mark Stark, hort101 and Doc8406 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Andrew N

Andrew N LawnSite Member

Yeah I guess it's just a process I gotta work though. Thanks!

6. JeremyKuhn

JeremyKuhn LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, I had the same feeling the first couple years, then I realized people just don't know how io don't want to do it themselves.
    I have more work than me and 5 others can do right now so I could care less if my prices are accepted or not. I know how long stuff take most of the time and have been giving prices +20% just to see if they say yes.
    I'm still getting work and am booked over a month, just making more profit at the end of the day.

7. Skol

Skol LawnSite Senior Member

Avoid "shooting yourself in the foot" by prefacing that for that type of work you charge $100/man hour (my price), and you estimate it'll take "x" amount of hours.... But, in the end you'll charge for the man hours that were needed, and you'll keep her updated as you go.... This strategy works well for me in SWMO.

8. OP
    OP
    Andrew N

Andrew N LawnSite Member

Yeah I just need to stay on top of it and keep them updated like you said, and for work like that it probly should be 100/hr. I'm going to do that with this exact customer cause there is still more but about to hit budget.

9. OP
    OP
    Andrew N

Andrew N LawnSite Member

Ok, I'm doing the same right now just bumped my rate up from 45 to 60. I got a bunch of estimates to send out today so we will see what happens. We are also booked out a month but we only really work on 1 job maybe a 2 a day.

10. Skol

Skol LawnSite Senior Member

You do any mowing? Or just this type of work?