Whatcha Burning

Discussion in 'Firewood' started by Greencuts518, Dec 29, 2018.

1. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Whats wrong with locust?

Walker56 and Greencuts518 like this.
  2. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Fanatic

This is an open thread to talk about wood stoves, firewood and equipment needed to make it happen.

Walker56 and hort101 like this.
  3. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Nothing. It’s 1 of the best choices for firewood. Right there with Ash, Oak, and Hickory.

hort101 and Greencuts518 like this.
  4. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I guess you could do it that way. You prob spend a lot more time gathering wood than I do cutting and splitting it myself. I can crank out a 1 1/3 cord in a weekend pretty easy. That’s cut, split, stacked and ready to burn. I burn maybe 2 cord per year.

Point is, if you have the right equipment, you are more efficient in the task at hand.

Get a used off brand saw off CL that runs but is cheap. This will be the saw you tear up learning to use it. Then go buy a better one once you have a good grasp on cutting. Hand splitting is the way to do it unless your going to be selling wood or splitting 10 cord per year.

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

hickory, red oak, white oak is what most use down here.

6. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

I like Black Locust best, thorny locust is pretty good, hackberry puts out some heat, it burns up fast.. I have a buddy that does tree work, so a lot of times I take any hardwood he cuts... if I'm out cutting on my own... I look for black locust..

Mathews makes a good point, I bought one of them Poulan 18" saws when I first got married, didn't have any money... that thing lasted along time! It was a damn good saw, I'm sure there's good & bad... but, it was a good one... I buy all echo saws right now, it's what my dealer carries, had good luck with them..
    Splitters?... I did a ton of splitting with my maul.. that also makes a difference in what I would cut, I didn't like a lot of knotty, stringy wood, it was too hard to split like I wanted... I bought barely used 35 ton splitter.. it's awesome ! Pretty sure it would split anything I put under it!

7. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I have all oak in my yard. I have been burning it for 19 years in my wood stove and in the firepit. I hand split a few cords way back. It is hard work. A splitter is the way to go.

hort101 and Greencuts518 like this.
  8. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Have been using my pops poulan pro does pretty good
    What echos have you tried?

Walker56 likes this.
  9. Greencuts518

Matthews 2 cords of wood ain't bad , I thought it would be more. I know 3 tree guys and I'll reach out to them for a source of small logs and rounds of hardwood.

Walker56 likes this.
  10. Greencuts518

@Wye Oak Tree you got your garage stove working yet. Saw one of the same types for sale at tractor supply for $650 on sale

Walker56 and hort101 like this.