Whatcha Burning

Discussion in 'Firewood' started by Greencuts518, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey man.
    I'm low on wood as well. I got discouraged on hording cord wood because my fireplace insert won't heat the whole house.

It's fine for the living and adjacent rooms buts that about it.
    I can't blame the stove totally because I know my house is old and doesn't have the greatest insulation.

Those pressed blocks I got from Ace are just OK.
    I still think they are partially made from pine and moreover they shed a lot of crumbs all around. I guess that's why they are cheaper..

I use the stove and oil furnace in combo on real cold nights Thumbs Up

hort101 likes this.
  2. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah ours heats half the house at best as its not wide open. Would love to put a big stove in basement as its only 50* down there and 1400 sq ft wide open, I know with a couple floor vents heat would rise and heat the floors on entire house. That would take a lot of wood to fuel 2 stoves.

Wye Oak Tree likes this.
  3. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Senior Member

I heat with a wood stove I sell over 40 cords of firewood a year the best wood to heat with is locust hickory ash red oak. Other good ones are walnut pecan and cherry but I sell those for high dollar or I sell the wood to furniture makers ect if I get good size stuff. As far as chainsaws I don't own any saws later than 2003 if you get your hands on a 044 or 038 magnum grab it you will not be disappointed those were the saws before all the emissions bs. As far as woodsplitter a go I have a 37 ton north star from northern tool it's is a great splitter have had it for 2 years not a single problem.

4. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Platinum Member

Time to check Cl for "free" wood! Nothing like having some free wood!

hort101 likes this.
  5. Greencuts518

I prefer the tractor supply fuel block only second to co
    Facebook marketplace is good as well for free wood

hort101 likes this.
  6. Doc8406

Cool.. i always say.. you can't have enough wood..

7. Greencuts518

Any pics of your operation would be cool.

8. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Senior Member

I'll go by tomorrow and snap some shots but here are a few for now. I share a space with a lot clearer and he has so much wood that he can't take to the mill bc it's either to short or not straight enough ect he gets rid of that he gives it to me and I split and sell it. all he wants in return is a case of beer for every cord I sell I kid you not!!!! He has every tree service in our area for 50 miles dumps here as well. My operation consists of three different areas. I sell straight hardwoods by the species as in all oak all locust ect then I sell what I call econo mix which has gum, oak, maple, birch, and some other woods as well all mixed together and then my smoking or exotic woods such as cherry, pecan, hickory, apple, maple. And I sell bundles as well which is a mixture of woods. All wood that is super knotted or oversized I sell by the trailer load to people with boilers.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

9. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone ever cut and burn Osage orange trees? We have about a dozen or more on my parents that get trimmed and burned every once in awhile. I believe it has the most btu's out of any wood in North America. Just don't try splitting it.

hort101 likes this.
  10. Doc8406

Don't burn it.. it is usable in instrument making.. bass guitars and such.. slab it and let it dry..

hort101 and caseysmowing like this.