Whatcha Burning

Discussion in 'Firewood' started by Greencuts518, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Yes. I do burn Osage Orange. You’ll hear a lot of people tell you not to but they are misinformed. The key is to use it as a supplement fuel not a main fuel. You can ruin a woodstoce quickly if you load it up with Hedge, just burns too hot. I throw in a stick here and there but mainly use it getting the fire going to bring the temp up a little quicker.

It is tough to split, very stringy yet dense. I hand split everything except the knots. I can bust an oak knot with a 20lb maul but it’ll just bounce off hedge.

Hedge is good for a lot of other things as well but you can burn it, just be smart about it. It’ll quickly dull a chain as well. It’s just not as easy to work with like oak, hickory, etc.

hort101, Doc8406 and caseysmowing like this.
  2. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a few pictures of my setup... All the logs here are either to big to small to long or short somewhat rotten or knotted and this is all free game. This guys main setup is 10 miles down the road he has a 5 acre lot that all the good stuff goes to the premium wood that he can take to the pulp mills and log mills and stuff.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

3. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

how about this for firewood

little scary

Doc8406 and Matthews Lawn Care like this.
  4. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I’ve seen one in person. Terrifying to say the least. Someone has def lost an arm in one of those.

Greencuts518, Doc8406 and hort101 like this.
  5. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Having been in woodworking with big saws kickback is deadly too
    It threw the last piece in his hands backwards
    woh nelly:eek: