Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a reasonable amount of time to replace a 2" valve and 3" PVC tee? From excavation to testing and backfill. All hand work.

We do a repair like this 1 or 2 times per season. I'd like a frame of reference for my own expectations.

·
Registered
680 Posts
What's a reasonable amount of time to replace a 2" valve and 3" PVC tee? From excavation to testing and backfill. All hand work.

We do a repair like this 1 or 2 times per season. I'd like a frame of reference for my own expectations.
Whole lot of variables in there. Bigger pipe doesn't play around and depending on how much room the previous installer left you between existing valve and god knows what kind of upstream fitting, turn, etc possibly 6 inches away from the valve output. It can be really easy to put the new valve in if you have a solid 2-3 feet of straight zone pipe exiting the valve. I wouldn't use an expansion coupling on the main line side, but on the flow side it can make your life easier in that instance. As for the 3 inch TEE. That one repair could be a solid half to full day if it's on the mainline side for one guy. You are basically forced to dig a burial plot just to replace the one fitting.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
A thousand variables. If I had to say a minimum of 3 hours if everything is just perfect, soft ground, no other obstructions to work around.
I've changed out valves (usually 1") in less than an hour and some take 4 hours or more. Some installs are done with no regard to future repair work and are a nightmare.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As for the 3 inch TEE. That one repair could be a solid half to full day if it's on the mainline side for one guy.
some take 4 hours or more
I’d give a not to exceed quote. $250,000 should leave some wiggle room for negotiation.
Thanks guys. This all seems in line with my own thoughts. Don't worry @1idejim, this isn't for quoting purposes, though I might start going the "not to exceed $250,000 route for all estimates. In my market, either I fix something like this or it wont get fixed. Just want something to compare to our own times for this type of work.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Depends on how much you work with bigger pipe. We have a split account where we are responsible for half and someone else does the other. I made a mistake recently thinking a break was on the other side. The contractor who fixed it took 2 days. 4”pipe into 2” valve broken at the T. It was on our side and he sent a bill to the property for $2400. For my guys , it was a 4 hour repair $800 at most. Needless to say I had a chat with the guy who admitted “ I’m really not a 4” guy “. Yeah , no ****

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends on how much you work with bigger pipe. We have a split account where we are responsible for half and someone else does the other. I made a mistake recently thinking a break was on the other side. The contractor who fixed it took 2 days. 4”pipe into 2” valve broken at the T. It was on our side and he sent a bill to the property for $2400. For my guys , it was a 4 hour repair $800 at most. Needless to say I had a chat with the guy who admitted “ I’m really not a 4” guy “. Yeah , no ****
All of that speaks to me. I have my bidding program set at 4 hrs for 3" PVC repair/fitting replacement. My techs though, they are not 3" guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts