Whats everyone using for figuring square footage?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bkennett, Mar 20, 2017.

1. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Member
    from ct

sprayboy has the right idea...

2. Turf Kare

Turf Kare LawnSite Senior Member

Not to HiJack this Thread but it kinda goes along with the original question. What are most of y'all using for Street Views (when available)?

3. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Gold Member

I always visit property also. Have to see if I like the owners. And if there are dogpiles everywhere. But do all my measuring from google earth pro.

4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Ditto...

5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I always visit property, lots of issues you cant see from space! I had a potential client open the door walk out and say you have the job. He said you are the only lco that would come out here and shake my hand! There really is something to be said for old school procedures!

hort101 and jonthepain like this.
  6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Sometimes we use online or apps. But, I like my measuring wheel and soil probe. Easier to sell add ons to the customer, I get to talk to them, walk the property, etc. I have sold more services this way. Soil probe makes selling aeration easy. If my 225lb behind can't push the probe in, you've got some issues. All that leaf litter over there next to the playset is a perfect tick habitat. Should we clean it out for you or do a tick treatment? Why not treat the entire perimeter of the yard too? Yeah, leaf clean up is tough. We do that service too. Want a quote?

hort101 likes this.
  7. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

findlotsize.com THEN visit the property.

I can promise you that measurement is much more accurate than your trusty wheel.

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

9. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

You will never convince me that any site online is more accurate than walking the lawn.

10. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

I use Yardbook to get a sneak peek of the property and a rough idea of what I'm getting in to, but that is always followed up by a personal visit by me and my measuring wheel. I know if I was shopping for a lawn service, anyone who didn't bother to come out and see my property and simply quoted me a price, satellite survey or not, would not get the job.