Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you guys give the name of your company a lot of thought ?

and did ya register it ?

does it really matter ?

I mean is Joe's lawn care less apealing than the lawn king ? or something like that...

·
Registered
57 Posts
bohiaa said:

and did ya register it ?

does it really matter ?

I mean is Joe's lawn care less apealing than the lawn king ? or something like that...
Wondering the same thing... I'm in the process of starting up my own service (mostly in the plannning and research and Buying) right now and I'm trying to come up with a name...

Also, should I try and come up with a name that starts with an A as it come 1st in the Phone Book???

·
Banned
5,112 Posts
Yes I think there is alot in a name because the name of your biz is the first immpression a potential customer/client
gets of you and your business.So it should seperate you from the pack
.Something that will stick in their brain for awhile.You shouldent care if it comes 1st in the book cuz that is not that much of a factor.
But if your name jumps out at them from the page,has a catchy logo,and your add or business card is done tastefully and with class,they are more
prone to remembering it.And

You are more likely to draw in the customers you want.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes in the olden days a phone book was an issue. I remember hearing that ya should not pick a name that would be listed 1st on the list nor last...about 4 to 5th in the book..
But lets face it, Who looks in the phone book anymore,
I mena here in Dallas Tx. We have about 4 to 5 very large thick phone books and they bring more every 3 mts...

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
bohiaa said:

and did ya register it ?

does it really matter ?

Yes I gave it some thought, and also if you're not going to register it, then why bother? Whether the name matters, that can be debated thou I think it does. Far as registration, that's the law, and being legit matters to me.

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
JonHolland said:
I'd go with "Super Affordable but not cheap looking with awesome customer service Lawn Care".

You could acronym it to "SABNCLWACSLC" on the business card :)
omg use the kiss principle and shorten all that to Sh!7 Lawn Care, lol.
Far as myself, I did use the words Lawncare (one word, whether it is correct grammar I do not care, one word is easier on forms) and for the other part I used a geographical term to somewhat define location.
The obvious terms such as YourCounty Lawncare I don't like, too common and possibly already taken but if it isn't, I still wouldn't do it. I used the name of a subdivision myself but not the name of a neighborhood, it's more like the name of a part of town. Also some street names would work good.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
he doesnt have insurance either, you need to get your name registered, what if your a success, then someone comes and registures your name after you are well established.... then your screwed, all the name recognitioon you worked hard for will go to the guy who registured the name...... thats just stupid, like thinking you dont need insurance.. :dizzy:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
topsites said:
omg use the kiss principle and shorten all that to Sh!7 Lawn Care, lol.
Far as myself, I did use the words Lawncare (one word, whether it is correct grammar I do not care, one word is easier on forms) and for the other part I used a geographical term to somewhat define location.
The obvious terms such as YourCounty Lawncare I don't like, too common and possibly already taken but if it isn't, I still wouldn't do it. I used the name of a subdivision myself but not the name of a neighborhood, it's more like the name of a part of town. Also some street names would work good.
So, what is the name you chose?

I thought a subdivision and a neighborhood were the same thing??

·
Registered
294 Posts
Farming. We just use the family name. Like Redencknaustin Farms.
But, when i was selling shrimp and crab, i used the name "Pro Seafood". And then played on it for advertising. "in a world full of cons, there is but one Pro Seafood". stupid stuff like that.. but it was kinda funny to play off the name.

I think the name is important. i mean, nobody wants to hear about joes mowing when they have super stealth topless girls mowing. right?

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
bohiaa said:

and did ya register it ?

does it really matter ?

I always knew there was something in the name of any company. But in the last four years i have bought and sold homes with a friend. The first year we used a couple of different inspectors that where so,so. We had a person who wanted a house we had and they got this inspector that was very good, so when we needed him i didn't have his number.

I'm not going to say the name of his company but it was in relation to a song and i think a movie, with the Internet it was easy to find him using the name that i remembered.

I hope this helps. The name says it all!!!!!!!

John

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
rednecknaustin said:
Farming. We just use the family name. Like Redencknaustin Farms.
But, when i was selling shrimp and crab, i used the name "Pro Seafood". And then played on it for advertising. "in a world full of cons, there is but one Pro Seafood". stupid stuff like that.. but it was kinda funny to play off the name.

I think the name is important. i mean, nobody wants to hear about joes mowing when they have super stealth topless girls mowing. right?
Tops off mowing!!!!!

Just have pretty girls on your adds :D

John

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah, we put a lot of thought into our name. Personally, I didn't like it. But my partners are women and they out voted me.

It has grown on me, though, and I like it now. I think it reflects our company really well. When we get more revenue I would like to get a better logo. A woman in a maid outfit pushing a lawnmower with her heels kicked up!

You'll have it made in the shade, when you call the YardMaid!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think it means a lot. I have never liked Joes Lawn care or Johnson Landscaping. What if your company really went big and someone wanted to buy it. How about Franchising? Who knows what is down the road for your company. I like a name that does not pertain to an individual beacuse of this. I have always like company names that use a natural feature such as Sharp Mountain Landscaping or Dove creek Lawn Maintenance.

My .02

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
anothertractor said:
I think it means a lot. I have never liked Joes Lawn care or Johnson Landscaping. What if your company really went big and someone wanted to buy it. How about Franchising? Who knows what is down the road for your company. I like a name that does not pertain to an individual beacuse of this. I have always like company names that use a natural feature such as Sharp Mountain Landscaping or Dove creek Lawn Maintenance.

My .02
Two shmuks with a truck ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
We have a couple of guys here in our town that advertise like this: "Two Old Men, One Old Truck= Cheap Prices!! Give Us a Call For Doing it All!!! They have been around now for about 5 yr's!!! LOL

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just a few additional things I thought I might add that I didn't see mentioned:

1) when selling the business do you think someone would buy Joe's Lawn Care? Does the name transfer well? We've seen most LCO's using their own names go out of business, not sure why though. I think using a creative name would work to your advantage!

2) try not to use words like "new" or "different".. this is only my opinion but if you're going with a name like "new-wave lawn care" or something people will always assume that your company is new, regardless of your years of business... and "different" may imply that you see a problem with the way things are presently being done, and are doing something radically different, people may not want this...

Hope that makes sense to at least 1 other person!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.