• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Whats next

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member

S&S Outdoor Services

LawnSite Member
Write a well thought out business plan that will help you decide exactly what you're trying to do with your business. Mine took me 5 months but that was also only working on it for a couple hours here and there. Once you have all your legal stuff figured out that Keystone Lawn pointed out, write the business plan. The value of it to your business is almost priceless. Once it's done you will have an idea of exactly you want to do with your business. Think about these things and write them out in your plan:

Who do you want to market to?

Do you want to be a solo operation or eventually bring on employees?

What equipment will you need?

What other services do you want to get into eventually?

How will you finance your start up costs?

Where will your business be in 2 years? 5 years?...

What's your niche?

etc. etc. etc.

Find a business plan template so you've got everything covered and put a lot of thought into what you want. I don't think I can stress enough how important it is and how much it's helped my business. When you have those low points and you're wondering just what it is you're trying to do, you'll have that business plan sitting there with all your goals right in front of your face. The business plan should always be a work in progress though, as your business changes you should be revising the plan and always keeping it up to date. That's my two cents for ya - Sam

Last edited:

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
I didn't write out a business plan because its always changing. Its a good thing too, I wouldn't have had enough erasers!:laugh: Seriously though, like S&S said you ALWAYS need to be thinking about what your doing now, what your doing next, and where you would like to end up. You will find that the answers to those questions can sometimes change quite often.

S&S Outdoor Services

LawnSite Member
register your name with the state, get insurance, get your state tax id, find an accountant, maybe some advertising and marketing... I would say it's pretty much in that order. Don't forget it's all going to cost money so hopefully you've got some income while you're doing all this.

S&S Outdoor Services

LawnSite Member
Are you doing strictly lawncare or are you doing any landscaping? What equipment are you thinking of starting with?