1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

What's that screeching noise?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bugspit, Jul 10, 2006.

1. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes while cutting on a unlevel surfaces and turning, I'll hear a screeching noise that I think is coming from the Hydraulic units. It sounds as if they are low on oil but they are not, actually I overfilled the tank to see If it makes a difference, just to have it come out the vent.

I guess it could be the trans belt or clutch, not sure, anyone else experience this?

I'll assume it's not good to cause it but, what can I do except get straight and level asap. :confused:

Less than 400hrs on a Scag Tiger Cub 48".

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

at about that amount of hours my hydro belt was really bad, it had chunks missing from it and at times under a hard pull it would slip and my hydros made some weird noises and had a bad vibration at times, I replaced the belt and no other problems

wayne

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If you put a Hydro unit under a heavy load and the by-pass valves are not fully closed the pump will make funny noises. Make sure your by-pass vlaves are fully closed

4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with GCF on the belt also check the tensioner idler with the tension off make sure its spins free and smooth.:)

5. bugspit

Thanks, :waving:

Time for a lube job tomorrow so I'll check those items out.

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

don't overfill it because that can cause more damage they not having enough in there!!!!!:hammerhead:

7. bugspit

The manual says fill to 3.25" below the filler (it normally stays at 4") , I had it at 3" and it spews out the vent hole, at least on hilly properties.

But, even at 4" on a slope there's is plenty in the tank so it not likely to run low to cause the noise. That's what I was thinking, the pump ran short on oil on the slope and meeting the demand of turning, but I don't see how that could be. The above suggestions sound more logical.

Plus the oil change for the Hydro is like 500hrs, should be able to handle anything during that time I would think.