What's the best compact tractor w/ 4WD?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by DavidMoore, Mar 17, 2016.

1. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Senior Member

All the above suggestions are great, and a small tractor can be a real money maker. Make sure you actually spend some time on the SCUT you are considering. I found a couple that my big size 13 work boots could barely fit through the cross over or work the tiny pedals of the hydro drive controls. I bought a 10 year old JD 4010 with 50 hours, so great deals are out there if you have patience. If you are financing, get it with the FEL if that is something you plan to use. Almost every other three point attachment is easily available on the used market.

2. River

River LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Wisconsin

I have a 25 40 and 65 horse john deere. I like the kubotas byt I went with the JD for ease of use. The Jd has autoconnect decks and with the quick hitch you only have to get off tractor to attach pto. the twin touch pedals are also much nicer than the kubota tredal pedal that you have to shift. I would like to get a 5 or 6 series tractor for a batwing since I mow a few private airstrips. I grew up on a farm with john deere in my blood so that's why I like them. Wish I had a 9620Rx like my dad has.

Bearsixty7 likes this.
  3. GoPappy

GoPappy LawnSite Senior Member

The bottom line is that there are a LOT of really good compact and subcompact tractors out there. These days, it would be hard to buy a "bad" one . . . assuming you don't buy chinese off-brand junk.

I've got 2 Kubota subcompacts (a BX23 TLB) and a BX2660, and a Kioti compact (DK50SE HST with cab), and they're all good.

I would have no hesitation buying ANY of the major brands . . . Kubota, Deere, Mahindra, Kioti, LS, MF, New Holland. They're all good. Just have to compare specs and do your research, find a dealer you trust, and then go try them out and see which one fits you best.

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Finding a low hour used machine that suits your needs is not easy. People resell tucks,trailers,skids, etc, for some reason they tend to hold onto their tractors. Perhaps it because tractors are so darn versatile? If you find the right one you have to move fast before someone else jumps on it!

stringfellohawk and Bearsixty7 like this.
  5. man00

man00 LawnSite Member

I have a B2320 Kubota with loader, toothbar, 4' cutter and tiller that I don't use much..Me and wife talking other day why not sell it..I know soon as I do I will need it again.

6. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I also have a b2320. If yours is a well maintained machine, it will sell in 1 day. I recommend you keep it, like you said as soon as its gone you will need it!

7. Dotcop690

Dotcop690 LawnSite Member

I have a L3560 Kubota with an LA805 FEL. I love my Kubota.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Deere or Bota......think parts availability.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have 6 Deeres and 1 Bota. 25-125 HP.

JLSLLC and RussellB like this.
  9. JRI Landscaping

JRI Landscaping LawnSite Member
    Male, from North Carolina

John Deere 1025R by far! Had mine since November and already have over 100 hours on it. It has became the most beneficial machine in my business! The backhoe is great and since the seat swivels around you dont have to worry about having an extra seat in the way. It is actually a very stout little machine. I went with the JD over the kubota for multiple reasons. First, the JD has 2 hydraulic pumps vs 1 on the bx. One for the steering and another to run the bucket and backhoe/implement. 2nd, the JD has 2 cylinders on the front bucket vs the bx's 1. 3rd, just looking at the JD you can tell it is a heavier built machine. It doesnt look like a lawn mower with a bucket on it. But thats just all my $.02

20170323_181140166_iOS.jpg

20170323_211108025_iOS.jpg

JRI 1.jpg