Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
736 Posts
Many, many soils already have adequate P levels. Many states have either limited P or banned it altogether. Too much P is actually harmful, binding up iron and other trace micros, then running off into lakes and streams where it adds to algae blooms. Unless a soil test shows a need for P, there's really no need for it except, perhaps as a starter fert.

K levels in soils are often adequate also.

But N is the limiting factor in plant growth, and as you've noted, bermuda consumes N like there's no tomorrow. When adequate levels of P and K are already in the soil, there's really no real need for additional. HOWEVER . . .

Bermuda roots have a big dieback as they emerge out of dormancy. For that reason alone, I like my early fert rounds to have a lot of K for vascular strength and root elongation. K helps bermuda deal with stress at both ends of the climate extremes. K also helps in alleviating suseptibilty to disease, leaf spot diseases in particular. I've gotten rid of helminthosporium infested lawns, just by going with a 1-0-1 ratio fert.

Bermuda responds to all N, organic or not. But regarding reducing N on a bermuda lawn, I'll take Mikey's brother's approach: "I'm not gonna try it. YOU try it." I see way, way too may lawns where the homeowner can't understand why the lawn is brown after Memorial Day. "Geez, I put a fertilizer down right when it greened up. It should be fine."

I have a big mouth neighbor of a customer that keeps telling my customer, "You should only need to fertilize twice a year. Early spring and late fall." His lawn looks like crap.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.