What's the deal with the grease gun?

clipcut

LawnSite Member
Maybe Im doing something wrong or a bad grease gun. On my Hustler X-one and Commercial Toro 21 walkbehind the gun goes on easy but is a pain to get off. I have to use pliars and bust my knukles trying to get it off. Also doesnt want to squeeze grease into the zerk. Both piece of equipment was bought just this last summer. hustler has 120 hrs, toro maybe 80. Whats the best grease gun? Thought about getting one of those mini ones. The old gun is in the trash, Im fed up with it.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
i had a problem with one i bought at walmart last year. it worked fine the first tube of grease but on the second i never could get it to pump. i got fed up with it as well and threw it in the trash. i went and bought a good one for $30 and haven't had any problems out of it. you still have to use two hands to grease even when using those trigger style grease guns. squeeze the trigger with one hand and hold the end tight to the zerk with the other. they are kindof hard to get off but just wiggle it around until it pops off. :laugh: make sure to clean the zerk off really good before you grease it. also clean it off afterwards because dirt will stick to any grease left on the zerk.

Last edited:
OP
C

clipcut

LawnSite Member
Thanks JasonLawnCare1. I guess its one of those things you get what you pay for. The one I had was from Atwood. Around 15 bucks.

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
I bought mine at deere for 21. My dad has three of the same as I do. In the fall his get at least a 1-1/2 boxes each pumped through them. His never have a problem. Mine about every other tube it gets air in it. It's a pain but I can get it when I'm patients. I also have problems on newer ones because the end is not broke in yet. Now my dads have a heck of a time staying on the zerk because they wear out after a year or so.
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
Maybe Im doing something wrong or a bad grease gun. On my Hustler X-one and Commercial Toro 21 walkbehind the gun goes on easy but is a pain to get off. I have to use pliars and bust my knukles trying to get it off. Also doesnt want to squeeze grease into the zerk. Both piece of equipment was bought just this last summer. hustler has 120 hrs, toro maybe 80. Whats the best grease gun? Thought about getting one of those mini ones. The old gun is in the trash, Im fed up with it.
The pain to get off sometimes happens. Typically what happens is a small rock(sand) gets in there keeping it on or the zerk is oblonged which keeps it on. Don't pull at too much of an angle or you can bread the zerk off. Then you will be on here asking how to use a easy out to get it out.

For the accepting grease, if the nozzle is on right there are 2 things to do. One is to take a pick, push in the check valve on the zerk, and see if it accepts grease after loosening it up. The second thing would be to remove the zerk, soak it in some cleaner, make sure the valve moves, and reinstall. Part of your problem is that the mfg only has it greased yearly (spindles on Hustler) which allows alot of time for the zerk to get gunked up and the grease hardend. Zerks that are greased often have less issues in my experience.

Best grease gun? Cheap ones typically work, usually it's the operator that is messing it up.

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
i had a problem with one i bought at walmart last year. it worked fine the first tube of grease but on the second i never could get it to pump. i got fed up with it as well and threw it in the trash. i went and bought a good one for $30 and haven't had any problems out of it. you still have to use two hands to grease even when using those trigger style grease guns. squeeze the trigger with one hand and hold the end tight to the zerk with the other. they are kindof hard to get off but just wiggle it around until it pops off. :laugh: make sure to clean the zerk off really good before you grease it. also clean it off afterwards because dirt will stick to any grease left on the zerk.
Most likely on your first gun you had a air in it which caused it not to prime the pump. A simple bleeding of air would of most likely fixed the situation. I have had about 3 friends with the same issue which had a grease gun but wouldn't work. Showed them how to bleed it and they worked.