Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how far some of you guys travel and how big your service area is? I have been contemplating extending my service area for next year. That would mean driving about an hour or so? These are all big commercial properties, where I can send two crews for a day or so.....

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Originally posted by JML
Just curious how far some of you guys travel and how big your service area is? I have been contemplating extending my service area for next year. That would mean driving about an hour or so? These are all big commercial properties, where I can send two crews for a day or so.....
Since I'm in NJ, I'll tell you that I am based in Hunterdon County (Clinton), but work also in Warren, Somerset, and Morris County. And Northampton County, PA (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton area).

Hope that helps some.

·
Banned
2,382 Posts
'Bout 50 miles each direction.
Haul a big load of mowers, close to 10,000#
So I charge them mileage too.

Dave

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Actualy my route is very tight. Though it just expanded due to a new commercial. Average would be within 12 - 15 miles. I'll have to check how far that commercial is

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
This year, my furthest drive is 6.54 miles away.

Previously I had a long 16.30 mile drive that took about a half hour (I was there for 3hrs mowing). That customer found that it was cheaper to mow it himself.

Most of my accounts are within about a 2.5 mile radius.

·
Registered
136 Posts
There is a small apartment complex that i mow on the other end of town that takes about 30-40 mn to get too depending on traffic.

·
Registered
917 Posts
30 minutes driving time from our shop is our limit. It would take a pretty large (6-8 man hrs) account to get me to go any further.:blob2: :blob1: :blob4: :blob3: :angry: :angel: i just think these things are cool.See Ya

·
Registered
109 Posts
right now we mow in about a 50 mile radius. I plan on subing out most of the stops in other counties next year, or just give them up.

you don't make any money riding in the truck.

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
furthest we go is about 32 miles. But next year we are cracking down to within a 12 mile radius. Too much time spent on the road.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
My shop/storage is right around the corner from my house, but I work mostly in Ann Arbor, which takes a good 15 minutes driving to get to. I work all over the city, but group them together by neighborhood. The furthest I have to drive from the shop is about 20 minutes. I get lots of calls from further away every year, but I don't even bother with them. I learned a long time ago the value of having a compact schedule, and not driving all over the place to work.

:D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Last year, we had a full day of accounts that were 50 minutes away. The drive was killing us, so we had to drop them. Now, 15-20 min. max.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We're in a rural area so our accounts are pretty scattered. The longest is about an hour away. We have a full day in that area and spend one day a week up there. Everything else is 30 minutes or less. We try to group accounts in the same area to do the same day to cut down on driving time as much as possible. But like I said we're very rural. The closest town is 10 miles away and we only have about 50,000 people in a 900 square mile county.

·
Registered
965 Posts
about a 30 miles east an west. Drive I-95 west 20 miles and work our way back one day then 10 miles east on I-95 and work our way back second day. Rest of the accounts are close for the rest of the week. I will tighten it up next year.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I try to stay in a 15 mile radius. However the builder that I do work for sent me on a job that was 50 miles(4 hours round trip) away on 2 different times. They paid me for travel.

·
Registered
486 Posts
We travel 2.5 hrs to Charlotte but that will come to an end soon.The money is good but the hassle isn't.Anyone in the area interested in 17 acres? the owner said he will do it if I don't;we're long time friends and I just can't handle the all day drive time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.