Whats the latest you respond to a business related text or call?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Cmonstihl, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Cmonstihl

Cmonstihl LawnSite Member

I don't respond to anything after 10pm, 10:30 if I know the person already. Had some potential clients spam me at 11 and 2 in the morning so already a red flag.

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  2. kinneberg lawn service

kinneberg lawn service LawnSite Senior Member

I usually use the same cuttoff around 10pm. Local numbers a bit of acception. Telemarketers have made knowing what is a possiblw client or spam difficult. They often take local numbers, even ones I am farmiliar with or know who they belong to.

People calling after that I usually get back to.next day if they leave a message.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

During plowing season, I always answer thee phone when snow is falling or has recently fallen. Our work voicemail had a command got customers to xfer to my cell if it's a snow emergency. Happens maybe once every couple snowfalls.

During the summer, only a few people have my cell phone so I'll respond pretty much when ever.

Cam15, zlandman, AlohaMowing and 3 others like this.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

For snow work...anytime. I have one customer that I have to respond to within 15 minutes.

Green work? 5 PM. Maybe 6. Every other business has "normal" business hours, so do we.

Unless it was an emergency, I'd be pissed if someone called or texted me at 10 PM.

Cam15, jkeifer, zlandman and 9 others like this.
  5. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally I finish all business related calls and paper work by 6-7pm. I try to both mentally & physically “punch-out” for the rest of the day.

MikeJG, 1620cwj, Cam15 and 2 others like this.
  6. hal

hal LawnSite Silver Member
    from Georgia

9-5 business hours, never answer the phone anyways let it go to voicemail.

MikeJG, Cam15, Crazy 4 grass and 2 others like this.
  7. Mark Oomkes

So what if their text to you that shows up at 10 PM just got hung up in the server and was actually sent at 6 PM? You reply and wake them up at 1030 PM?

There is nothing short of a storm emergency or water leak that would get me to answer my phone for lawn care at 10 PM at night. I just don't understand this concept of replying to texts or calls past 6ish in the evening. You need to respect their time as well as they need to respect yours.

8. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Emails I will send off at any time.

Phone calls out stop around 6pm. Stop taking incoming calls at 7.

I try to push everyone to email. That's my preference for contacting most clients. I do not text clients.

1620cwj and Cam15 like this.
  9. Mark Oomkes

I'm still squeamish about contacting customers by text. The ones I do communicate with via text is always initiated by them.

JMK26 likes this.
  10. Mark Oomkes

Question for you guys that think texting at 10-1030 PM is just the bomb.

Do you text your plumber, electrician, lawyer, doctor, mechanic, garbage man, etc at 10 PM at night?

Sometimes we (in this industry) are our own worst nightmare.

Cam15, DLL LLC, knox gsl and 4 others like this.