Lawn Care Forum banner

What's the max you will drive for clients

3K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  Mowman29 
#1 ·
How far are some of your properties?

I may be able to pick up som 6+ acre properties that would be about 30-45 drive away...

Is that not worth it? how many would i need to make it worth it? If I was out that way for almost a full day would you guys say that its worth it?

#2 ·
ztoro said:
How far are some of your properties?

I may be able to pick up som 6+ acre properties that would be about 30-45 drive away...

Is that not worth it? how many would i need to make it worth it? If I was out that way for almost a full day would you guys say that its worth it?
We mow up to about 24 miles away from my shop. I would have no problem driving 30 or 40 miles for a couple of my guys to work almost all day...especially if the mowing dollars are there. I guess too a lot depends on how much you want the work and whether you can pick up anything else along the way.

#3 ·
I have a 30 mile range that I work in. That usually keeps me within a 15-20 minute drive to most jobs. I schedule the jobs that are furthest from home to be done in the morning (7:30 am start) that way I don't get caught in rush hour traffic. After lunch I return to jobs closer to home and finish the day doing jobs that are close together. If you have to do a lot of windshield time, try to avoid rush hour traffic (7:30-9:00 am and 3:30-6:00 pm).

As a rule I don't take jobs that are more than 20 minutes drive time from home. I won't travel more than 30 miles unless their is enough work to keep me busy at least 1/2 the day or more.

Right now mowing is on a 2 week schedule here in Florida so I'm taking on some large mulch jobs that are outside of my normal work area. There is enough money in the large jobs to make it worth the drive.

#5 ·
We try to stay within 20miles unless you have a full day of work then the drive might be worth it. When we first started up, we would drive all over the place.....20 miles.....30 miles.... 40 miles! anything to get some cash flow moving. Now that we are well established we try to keep everything as tight as possible.

Chris

#8 ·
Well being a new guy I traveled 25 miles for an account that my brother in law has (commercial laundrymat) on a main road. $65 bucks . I thought this is not worth it. Took me about 35 min. Then I started to park my truck next to road so people can see it (truck is lettered up with name and number) Boy did I get phone calls when I got home that night. So to answer the ? how far do you travel? Well it might be worth it in the long run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.